Offline miscdude

• View Profile

Dracula

on: May 30, 2009, 06:25:13 am
hum...
been gone a while
back to pixel art for a bit.
working on a dracula portrait

as you can probably see, its no where near finished...teeth arent shaded, hair is slopped on
but for now, Im looking for help with the facial structure, pallete, and anything else you see not related to the teeth or hair. any C&c would be great :]

edit:

worked on the teeth, shading and shaping in general. Still need help if anyone has crit
edit2:

edit3:

edit4:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 02:17:08 am by miscdude »

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Re: Dracula

Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 07:55:21 pm
Great improvement between first and latest version, it's good you got rid of the dithering. The ambient lighting works very well here I think.
Crits :
-it seems to me that his right eye is smaller than the left one.
-The blobs on his neck are really awkward. They almost evoke scales like one would draw on a dragon's neck (like this : http://home.att.net/~albino-rhino/S14RedDragonHitDoc.jpg , yellow bits).

EDIT : agree with below about the eyes. And teeth were sharper in #1 too.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 11:29:33 pm by fil_razorback »

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 09:27:46 pm
I much preferred the whited out eyes. Something very evil and creepy about them, if you're going to add pupils, maybe do something that isn't similar to human eyes. It just seems boring.

Well to be honest, I love the first, dirty, rough, unfinished version the best. It might just be me, but I think the roughness add some kind of charm to the piece. Or maybe it's just the fact that it doesn't contain the 2 elements recently added that I dislike; (pupils/lighting).

But I think you need to further emphasize that "I'm gonna eat your face right now!" look, and the first version seems to capture it best.

Offline miscdude

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 01:16:53 am
Alright, so I brought back the dithering, albeit much less sloppy. I agree fully about the lack of pupils, they suit the look much more when the eye is totally white. With the pupils gone it helps the eyes look more even, as well. In an attempt to somewhat regain that eatyourface look, I also gaped his mouth a bit. Tried to smooth out the issue with the neck, but I can only go so far without totally losing its shape.
picture at top post
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 01:18:58 am by miscdude »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 01:28:51 am
I'd fix the banding on the ear and chin. Other than that it's looking pretty slick right now. :y:

Offline miscdude

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 02:16:47 am
fixed the banding that I saw, and thanks  :D