AuthorTopic: I am looking for Joshua Astorian. (AKA Joshua Robinson)  (Read 62265 times)

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Re: I am looking for Joshua Astorian.

Reply #50 on: December 13, 2012, 10:52:48 pm
"Um, what happens if the client doesn't pay the artist for their work? This is why artists ask for some payment up front. It's a way to protect themselves from getting screwed over as well."

They can ask all they want. But speaking as someone who's worked extensively in hobby and professional game dev, I've never, ever paid someone in advance. And I've never met a pro artist that has expected this. It's just not how it works in the industry.

Artists can protect themselves by asking for a contract specifying their workload and pay rates, or an informal agreement to the same effect. And just generally taking on projects with devs that seem to be established and have a track record. But actually paying an artist in advance is a terrible idea, not just because of potential ripoffs, but because it kills their incentive and motivation - they already have the money. If you pay artists in advance, watch - you will get lazier, less polished work, and you will get it later, because they will prioritize toward getting new money coming in first. It's just a bad, bad idea.

"With graphic design work, I read somewhere online that some people take payments in little increments. They do a sketch, get some payment; do the actual work, get some/the main payment; any revisions or further editing, get more payments."

Absolutely! This is very common and a great idea, especially for larger tasks. In fact I'll often price per image, and allow the artist to invoice at any time for the images they've finished (and had approved) up to that point. So long as payment always follow the tasks, assignments can be broken up however the artist and the company want to.

"When working with a new client, it's a good idea for the artist to arrange a small deliverable and bill upon its completion. This approach establishes trust and manages the artist's risk without having him/her to ask for money upfront."

More power to you as an artist, if you can get them to agree to this. I never would, nor would any of the other developer I know.

"Big projects often require some percentage of payment up front..."

I absolutely disagree. Honestly, I've overseen projects that are massive, with 50+ people working on them. Nobody gets paid in advance. That is not an expectation that flies in the industry, only in the hobby and small dev communities. You shouldn't ever need to do that.

Look at the situation with Josh, and don't see it in terms of 'Now I won't deal with this artist.' Look at it from a perspective of, 'How can I takes steps to ensure that NO artist does that to me?' Discuss and decide upon rates with the artist, give the assignment, critique and give feedback when the art comes in, and only when the work is 100% approved should the artist be entitled to compensation. It puts a little more pressure on them, but if you're someone that can't wait a few days for cash, you're in the wrong field. Especially when you get to larger publishers, where they work on 'net 30' or 'net 60' (meaning your payment doesn't even get PROCESSED until 1 or 2 months after completion).  :o

"I have seen the work that he has done and am very impressed with it. and I came to the conclusion that Josh is a very skilled artist and I want him to do some work for me, BUT, because of his history, I will not pay him in advance for his work. "

That's what is of course so frustrating. Josh is one of the most talented character pixel artists I've ever seen. It's just a shame he muddies his talent and destroys his reputation with scams such as these.  :(

Offline MIRRORZZ

• View Profile

Reply #51 on: December 16, 2012, 05:24:12 am
Josh is one of my best friends, we go back a long time, I know he has had a tough living situation, plus he has a child, and some personal problems, I can't defend his scams however I know he works extremely hard, I know he's worked from libraries and all kinds of places to get his work done, his work is amazing, I feel sorry for him and what he's been through and why he scammed ppl, he's still a great artist, that's all I gotta say.

Offline rdellafave

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: January 10, 2013, 11:12:53 pm
I run a somewhat large independent game studio. Joshua approached me several times regarding, almost begging, for a position. He gave me the whole sob story about his kids not having pull-ups, like he has to many people here. I thought his portfolio was OK, but not earth shattering. I sent him a small amount of money in exchange for a few tiles. It was a trial for the position, but more than anything I just wanted him to stop blabbering.

Of course I never received the work. I blame myself for not Googling his name first. It was a nominal sum so no big deal. However, the fact that scum like this discredits good artists everywhere is incredibly annoying. I suggest we file a lawsuit against him. I have documentation and a track record of my conversation with him, as I'm sure many of you do. Although no one single person has been screwed out of a lot of money, collectively, it adds up.

Light a fire under this guy's @ss. I'd say he's done quite enough to deserve it. Please contact me if you'd like to pursue matters more aggressively.

Offline Sorcerak

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: January 11, 2013, 04:42:25 am
THANK YOU. I was just about to offer him a large job! It's pretty much the same scenario rdellafave he came to me a bit needy last night, had a decent portfolio and good price.  I'm so glad I googled for his name and stumbled upon this thread. +10000 internets.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #54 on: January 13, 2013, 03:25:28 am
For fuck's sake Josh, as a friend, (and I know you're reading this thread) PLEASE stop taking peoples money in advance.  People are willing to give you a shot despite all of this shit you've dug yourself into.  Just do the damn work and get paid.  Need diapers for the kid?  Do the work. Get paid.  Need to pay your rent?  Do the work. Get paid.  The answer is right there in front of your face.  You have no idea how frustrating it is for me to constantly hear this about you.  I KNOW you are capable of just doing a little work and getting back on your feet again.  Do it.  Stop embarrassing yourself.

If I were you, I'd address the situation quite bluntly when searching for future work.  I'd put a disclaimer on your website/emails explaining the string of bad jobs - but promise to not accept any form of advanced payment if hired.  Build that trust again.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 09:29:55 am by Indigo »

Offline dragonslumber

• View Profile

Reply #55 on: June 02, 2014, 10:16:35 pm
I'd just like to add that I was just contacted by Joshua Astorian on Skype concerning a pixel art job and when I confronted him with this, he immediately disappeared.  I can't vouch that he is a scammer, but his reaction definitely comes across as shady.  Also, I found this while searching for more info about him: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/joshua-astorian/collinsville-illinois-/joshua-astorian-scammed-money-from-me-this-year-and-others-in-2009-for-artistic-word-that-961843

Offline JForceGames

• View Profile

Reply #56 on: October 05, 2015, 10:47:11 pm
I've also just been burned by this scammer. Worst part is that I googled his name before I paid him and this thread was the first result. I clicked it and saw that he was replying in it and that there were people backing him up, didn't notice it was a multiple page thread, and just brushed it off as something from the past that got worked out. So dumb of me. Am angry. If there's any type of legal action we can jointly take against this guy I would love to do that.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #57 on: October 05, 2015, 11:28:25 pm
I've also just been burned by this scammer. Worst part is that I googled his name before I paid him and this thread was the first result. I clicked it and saw that he was replying in it and that there were people backing him up, didn't notice it was a multiple page thread, and just brushed it off as something from the past that got worked out. So dumb of me. Am angry. If there's any type of legal action we can jointly take against this guy I would love to do that.

Sadly we can't do anything against that you got scammed.

I edited Ptoings comment on the first page with big red letters.

THe only action you can take actually is to get a lawyer and sue him.
If you have had a clearly written out contract, which you should always have if you are outsourcing freelance work, it should be a pretty clear case for any court around the world.
If you don't have made a contract, there is very little you can do, except you have e-mails stating the exact work.
However without a properly signed contract it's getting a lot harder and there are quite some gray areas in the law - depending on the country you live in. 
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #58 on: October 08, 2015, 03:31:50 pm
Is this for real?

Got this from his Linkedin profile
Experience
Graphic Artist
WayForward Technologies
July 2005 – Present (10 years 4 months)Valencia, CA (Remote, freelance)

I work for Wayforward, creating sprite designs, animations, and backgrounds for licensed NDS and GBA titles.

Is he still working for WayForward Technologies, even with his scamming history?

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #59 on: October 08, 2015, 04:02:44 pm
He is. As far as I can tell, he does contract work for them whenever they are in need of pixel work. The most recent game seems to be Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark (summer 2014). Adam Tierny (who directs some of the Wayforward games) already posted above that he's been working with them for years and they've always been super happy with him.