AuthorTopic: I am looking for Joshua Astorian. (AKA Joshua Robinson)  (Read 62261 times)

Offline Rawsushi

• View Profile
    • Terrormisu - The Art of B Rosaschi

Re: I am looking for Joshua Astorian.

Reply #20 on: November 17, 2009, 10:59:26 pm
I think it would be wise to remember that paying up front is both risky and, quite frankly, unprofessional.  If someone asks for a large lump sum up front, that's typically because s/he is in dire need of some quick cash.  Maybe a warning should be added to the "READ THIS FIRST" post.

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #21 on: November 17, 2009, 11:22:03 pm
Ptoing = I'm glad that you have clarifyed it.  :y:

Well people can't just be left off like that, there has to be regulations or something added to his reputation or like an special thread that shows off situations of people involved in scams... I wish the karma system worked that way on the site, aside from just having to do with how you behave in the forums... Just an idea... haha talking about that, I just seem to have too many ideas to change the world around me as of lately, it's just one of those weeks.  ;D

...also for the victims, I want to say, if you guys ever work on serious projects, try making contract works next time, that way you can sue those people and get your money back a lot easier... good luck guys.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #22 on: November 18, 2009, 12:45:51 am
Hi everyone,

Sven (Ptoing) pointed me to this thread. I helped Josh get a lot of his early gigs, through the company I work for (WayForward) and through recommendations to other companies. I also set up a website for him, which is why my name is listed as the register of joshastorian.com. Josh is an incredibly talented pixel artist, but he's had trouble finishing pieces on time (from what I've heard), and frequently requests money up front. I was contacted by someone a while back about Josh skipping out on a contract after being paid, but before doing the work. I contacted Josh and told him that he needed to set things right for that individual or I wouldn't be a part of him finding anymore work in the future. I didn't hear back from Josh on the subject, so I haven't recommended him since, and can't in good conscious recommend him currently.

Like I said, he's a fantastic pixel artist, but he needs to get his life together because he's ruining any potential for a career in the industry. Apologies to anyone who was scammed by Josh or is owed work by him. I see Josh online every so often so I'm not sure why he can't just finish the work he owes. But it doesn't concern me anymore as I haven't vouched for him in some time.

- Adam

Offline Joshua

• jrobgraphics
    • View Profile
    • jrobportfolio

Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 02:10:56 am
I want to apologize to everyone I've received money from and didn't complete the work. I have just been incredibly busy dealing with major life situations and its caused me to take on work in the hope that my situation would change I would be able to do the work. I recently found out my fiance is pregnant and I have literally no place to live for me or my family. I am homeless. I'm not trying to give that as an excuse for my irresponsible decision to take on work that I wasn't absolutely certain I'd be able to complete but it has hindered my work.

I am currently trying to work this out with everyone so if I missed you please send me a pm.

Thanks,

Josh

Offline trentg

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: December 05, 2009, 12:47:00 am
I've also been ripped off by Josh for $200. Oh, I did get one simpe little 240x160 graphic out of it, something I could have done myself in about 5 minutes... I wouldn't get your hopes up from this guy, he's told me several times that he is going to do the work he just hasn't got around to it, yet he takes more jobs and rips more people off. So Josh, I don't accept your apology because it's a load of crap. You may very well be homeless and have a kid on the way but you and I had an agreement before this so called pregnancy and you didn't get anything done then either. And FYI I've been homeless and I never took a dime from anybody, it's not an excuse for theft and fraud.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #25 on: December 05, 2009, 03:05:37 am
in all fairness, $200 for a 240x160 image may have been well worth the cost considering his skill level.  Though broken contracts are another story

Offline Zoggles

• Conjuring stuff
    • View Profile
    • Mini Wizard Studios

Reply #26 on: December 05, 2009, 03:28:42 am
Hello,

I'm interested in the job of which you have specified.

I have 5 years experience creating graphics for licensed GBA & mobile phone games and about 3 years in the Nintendo DS industry. You can find my portfolio and work history here: http://joshastorian.com. (You will need firefox to view at the moment) Heres a link to my current resume: http://joshastorian.com/Resume_JoshAstorian.doc and you can find a letter of recommendation from a Director from the licensed game developer "Wayforward Technologies" whom I've worked for the past 3 years here: http://joshastorian.com/Josh_letter.doc. I'm great with deadlines, and I can adapt to whatever graphical style that's needed.

Please get back to me as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Joshua Astorian
http://www.joshastorian.com
MSN: joshuaastorian@hotmail.com

In all fairness and assuming your situation to be true, why were you still trying to take on new work when you appear to have current unfulfilled obligations to other clients, and no means or time to satisfy new clients. You are not doing anybody here on these forums any favours whatsoever by such actions.

I sincerely hope you can sort yourself out and sort things out between those that have posted complaints and concerns here. I know very well what it is like to suddenly have ten tonnes of real life shit suddenly bear down on you, so for that I can sympathize with your situation, and I hope you can mend whatever fences you seem to have crashed through in the process. But, to continue the analogy, please don't go breaking down another fence to get wood for the ones you've broken.

-Z-

Sorry if I don't seem to ever comment on your posts, but anything hosted on imageshack or most image hosting web sites is blocked from China. If I can't see it I can't therefore comment on it :(

Offline trentg

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: December 06, 2009, 04:52:05 pm
in all fairness, $200 for a 240x160 image may have been well worth the cost considering his skill level.  Though broken contracts are another story

Here is the image:

It's literally something I could have done myself in 5-10 minutes.

--

Ok, here's something I paid $150 CAD for, which worked out (after exchange rate and Western Union fees to be $100 less than what I paid Josh):

I was on MSN with Josh (about a month after he took the job) and he said he's do something for me and 5 minutes later he had that little blue design... I hardly think $2400/hr is fair for that thing.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 04:59:58 pm by trentg »

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: December 06, 2009, 05:56:25 pm
The following quote is from an interview with Feng Zhu, which I think fits the current topic:
Is there any way to stand out from the rest besides being good?
Being good is 90% of it. The other 10% is your personality and business sense. Nobody wants to work with someone who has a bad attitude or awkward. [...]

I know nothing from Josh apart from his pictures, which I really like. But to successfully work as an artist, you must have a professional attitude. Once you gain mistrust in the internet, it's hard to rehabilitate. Bad cookie, that's the internet for you.
But don't let your head down. By the words of someone I really admire: "It's not the obstacle, but your reaction to it. It's up to you if you use your obstacles as stepping stones to your dream or stumbling blocks. There is no such thing as failure until you admit so yourself."

On the other side, as an employer you have your own responsibilities. Do some serious research before you hire a new artist. Blaming the employee in the internet is imho not very professional either. Try to solve the problem on a direct level and don't display your anger on the internet. Cookies might taste bad. For your self-gratification: In google, this thread appears above Josh's own website.

Offline trentg

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: December 06, 2009, 10:00:55 pm
Try to solve the problem on a direct level and don't display your anger on the internet.

Time is money and I've already put a lot of time into trying to get something other than lies out of Josh... I can't do it anymore. In his last message he said leave me a pm... well Josh, if you _really_ want to fulfill your duties, it should be you pm'ing everyone who you've taken for a ride.