AuthorTopic: Initial ideas thread [overhead space curtain fire game]  (Read 2851 times)

LODYblokady

I want to make a game [or at least a mockup of a game] that involves a hero space fighter type figure.
My first idea for the fighter is this; a generic one. But it is generic because I want you to be able to build up the fighter depending on what bosses you fight (like in for example, Megaman.) Except, you can use more than one at the same time as long as you arent using up the component (e.g. using the right laser cannon).
Here is my first design. [ No color restrictions, but I don't want random shading so I stuck to 16 chosen colors.]

design 2

It doesn't look like much at the minute, I havent taken into account any directions of light or color schemes. I'll do that later.

I also made a first boss character idea, Unnamed at the moment.
His character is supposed to be a sentinel shaped like an eye with a gold and silver headpiece. The robotic figure is the guard of wealth and you have to destroy it to recover the wealth of your nation [I am playing with ideas].
Here is my first take on the design, with different modifications. I may well redesign the character based on this initial design.

{random stuff}

--updating as i go

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 12:59:28 pm by LODYblokady »

LODYblokady

Re: Initial ideas thread [overhead space curtain fire game]

Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 02:07:05 pm
Here is a mockup of an ingame screen I made in 10 minutes.

All of the information you will need will be in the red area (it will be smaller when I actually make it, I just needed annotation space). The yellow line represents a place you can rest in. It will pause the game when you go into the yellow area and you can upgrade your weapons from there and take health and ammo (if you have any to use). There will be a picture of your player on the left for aesthetics and dialogue purposes. Most other things are described on the images. Some ideas would be helpful!

For the actual game, I think a resolution of 640x480 will be reasonable for now. I haven't got MUCH experience in C++ but I know enough (hopefully,) I still need to choose an engine though.
Any thoughts?

Offline Oltar

• View Profile
    • Akira V.3.0

Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 06:39:25 pm
First of all I think that you must separate the background and the spaceships, distinguish the background and the ships, I think there are too similar, so change the pallete (make some adjusts only).
Or, put an outline at the sprites (grey or white).
My english sucks.

LODYblokady

Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 07:40:49 pm
First of all I think that you must separate the background and the spaceships, distinguish the background and the ships, I think there are too similar, so change the pallete (make some adjusts only).

I got you, none of the colors are final; I just made the colors like that to make them easy to see.
Also I whipped up the background in a few minutes. I am adding actual level design when I actually make it.
Thanks for your suggestions :)_

LODYblokady

Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 08:05:27 pm

I got you, none of the colors are final; I just made the colors like that to make them easy to see.
Also I whipped up the background in a few minutes. I am adding actual level design when I actually make it.
Thanks for your suggestions :)_

edit: also I have made some animations of fireing and taking damage, firing gives you a yellow outline and taking damage gives a red outline. (Along with animations and other effects)