AuthorTopic: [help] Hair's Shadows  (Read 2560 times)

Offline kamihero

• View Profile

[help] Hair's Shadows

on: May 25, 2009, 03:50:13 pm
hello again, firt of all, sorry for my bad english (again)

i'm having much problens to make hairshadow and lights... i don't know how to do it... can anyelse helpe me? ^^"

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Re: [help] Hair's Shadows

Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 05:33:20 pm
Well, hair isn't much different from shading other things, other than the fact it's pretty shiny when compared with cloth.

First of all, it doesn't seem like you've really picked a light source. So start with that. Probably top-down is the easiest.

Secondly, your pallette selection is lacking. Start off by using a background other than white, like a blue or crimson or something. It'll probably help influence your other color choices. Then start to build your pallette, trying to pick colors that stand out, but fit well. Okay, NOW that you've done that, go ahead and draw. (If the colors I choose are nice, I find I make better art.)

A word of caution though: It seems like you rely too much on the fill tool and "lines" to draw things.

I would suggest you instead use a 2 to 4 pixel brush (make sure it's pencil tool though) to blob out a body (line art can work, but it's also very restricting if you're still trying to figure out the volumes and shapes).

Now draw a body using the big brush. Afterwards, layer on light and darkness. Now you're not "boxing" in lights with lines, you're painting them in, giving you more control over figuring out where they'll go.

Worry about fixing the appearance after you've got a rough sketch that looks okay. Cleaning up blobby forms should be easier than shading around lines. It is for me, anyways.

So a good workflow: 1) light source 2) colors 3) blob 4) clean up

Offline kamihero

• View Profile

Re: [help] Hair's Shadows

Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 05:44:03 pm
Very thank you Overkill, i'll Remake it (or try to remake) when i return to home from hospital, in 3 days.  :(

:y: