AuthorTopic: Kings quest type game {WIP}  (Read 6202 times)

Offline PASSOUT

• The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation
    • View Profile

Kings quest type game {WIP}

on: May 25, 2009, 01:31:59 am
Heya guys! I'd like to get some feed back on this piece I've been woorking on. I'm aware of the fact that it sucks so please help me out. I was inspired be the old king's quest games and I'm trying my harest to make game like that. This is inside the pesant's home. There is not much inside, I'm not sure what I can do with the inviorment. I've been pexeling for awhile but for some reason I haven't gotten better I constantly looking up. I hope that I can improve on this and learn something.
Thanks!

« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 04:52:28 pm by PASSOUT »
"Well, if you're still reading this, then stop. Go practice! Do a drawing. Just make shit, you know, something that is exclusively a product of you. "

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Re: Kings quest type game {WIP}

Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 05:16:53 pm
The background setting looks very nice. Could use a few imperfect bricks or a poster/sign or something to liven it up a bit though.

The character's arms look weird, because they shouldn't start so thick like that at the top, thin like that at the end. Shirts don't usually go from baggy at the top of the sleeves to tight at the end, and the hands seem too small. We should see his thumb (or at least space occupied to give the impression that he has thumbs) if he's got his arms to the side like that. Or I guess make his shoulders broader, and make the the arms 4px instead of parts starting at 6px and moving to 5px to 4px.

His elbows seem too low. I think that shadow should start about two pixels higher.

The legs also suffer. It goes from nice curves to boxy cubes at the botton. The black outline shouldn't be broken up like that. Instead add new, slightly darker shades if you want to define the forms.

Lastly, where are his feet! It's unlikely that shoes are the EXACT same color of brown, so mix in your other palette colors when shading the shoes. Since it's a face-on view like that, not top-down, his shoes should also occupy more vertical space.

Hopefully this helps.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 06:04:55 pm by Overkill »

Offline PASSOUT

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 10:37:26 pm
Hey thanks for the tips. I hope I've made some sort of advances in making this better.

I still can't quite place a finger on it, but I think my background looks way to amature-ish.
"Well, if you're still reading this, then stop. Go practice! Do a drawing. Just make shit, you know, something that is exclusively a product of you. "

LODYblokady

Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 10:39:57 pm
Hey thanks for the tips. I hope I've made some sort of advances in making this better.

I still can't quite place a finger on it, but I think my background looks way to amature-ish.

I think It looks great, especially the perspective it gives. What it is missing in my opinion is a texture on the bricks, maybe some more depth aswell.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 01:34:20 pm
First of all I'm guessing this was done with a mouse, not a tablet. Everything has a very sterile geometric feel to it... could be intentional for a retro feel but it's not my taste, personally.

Moving on, you started detailing too quickly, I think, which is what led to the "amateur" look you're talking about. You painstakingly rendered each brick but the actual composition of the room isn't all that interesting. Looking at it I'm not even sure what it's for - is it a storage room? Living quarters? In the future you should be starting rough to get the general layout the way you like it before you move in for these details... rather than lay things out with a circle or square tool, just use a bigger brush size and scribble - you can always clean it up and this will give a much more organic feel to your scenery.

Anyway, big things that could improve this room would be: More atmosphere (use the scenery to tell us more about the room), less geometric shapes (especially on that carpet!) and avoid symmetry... 'cuz it's boring!

Here's a really rough sketch to illustrate my points - I killed the symmetry by adding an off-center light source - see how much more dynamic that makes everything?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 01:48:53 pm by Ben2theEdge »
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline PASSOUT

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 08:33:17 pm
Hm I guess I'll have to rethink everything.

I used a basic paint program to make it. I was just worried about keeping things balanced and inside perspective. I must have been to meticilous.I guess less is infact more

Looking at it I'm not even sure what it's for - is it a storage room? Living quarters?

It is a peasant home that the player starts out inside.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 08:39:11 pm by PASSOUT »

Offline PASSOUT

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 07:26:14 pm
AN update. Still hard at work. :)

Also working on in game text.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 07:41:04 pm by PASSOUT »

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 08:09:39 pm
That's not how spiderwebs look. it should be attached to the beams, not just anchored like that.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 10:02:12 pm
I feel like there's a strange video-game-inspired idea of a medieval peasant's house.  stone is extremely hard to move and build with and requires mortar and would really be the material of a more industrial society, or one which supported more people.  In New England we have what's called a Stone-Ender; that is, a 'mansion' (any house containing a guestroom) the owner of which was so wealthy that he could afford 1 entire wall (out of 4) be made of stone.

Also, a chandelier?  And a proper fireplace?  And a wide-framed window?

If you want us to believe that this is a peasant's house and not say, a guardhouse in an estate, wattle and daub is probably a more accurate choice and far more interesting visually.  the same goes for bracketing the walls and showing beams cut from available lumber.  Straight-cut beams are a difficult effort requiring choice wood and a large group effort (this man lives alone right?).
windows do better to have a glassless shutter with many small holes.  even glass windows tended to have small panes because manufacturing techniques were lacking.
The fireplace could stay but it and the chimney would most likely be the only significant stone feature.  It would also probably be more of a shelf/stove for efficiency.  People back then couldn't afford a fireplace that didn't get heat from the fuel.

edit - the reason i'm being a jerk about it is that adventure games generally thrive on visually communicating plot details that would otherwise slow down the story.  if choices are left sorta guessy-messy, particularly important ones like where the hero lives, it can impact (hugely) the way the characters and storylines are received.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 10:06:25 pm by ndchristie »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline PASSOUT

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 10:47:09 pm
Well thats a shame, sucks throwing away all those hours of work.
I completly understand. Thats kind why I'm here right?. Well thanks. It's really hard to find information but I guess one could use common sense. I'll read, revise and repost.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 01:47:07 am by PASSOUT »