AuthorTopic: Galactic Garden  (Read 24995 times)

Offline Smash

• View Profile

Re: Galactic Garden

Reply #40 on: February 01, 2010, 06:08:15 am
I liked it much better when it lacked the darker outlines, it seemed much smoother. I prefer it that way, but it's an artistic choice.

Same here. I think the bright colors alone are good enough to make him stand out. Otherwise, it'd look more like a game mockup.

If you're going to heep him this way, the background might need some touches of black to balance this out.

I like this so much, I could even use the Wip as my desktop. Keep it up.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 06:10:46 am by Smash »

Offline twodayslate

• View Profile
    • twitter

Reply #41 on: February 02, 2010, 03:36:10 am
I like it!

I like how the character is brighter and pops out while the background is sorta *bland (can't think of the right word right now). Lovely :)

Offline 7321551

• a.k.a. Jarrad
    • View Profile

Reply #42 on: February 02, 2010, 02:35:52 pm
I have little to add regarding technique - it's been in my inspiration folder since the last rendition.

However, there is something bothering me about the facial-expression. I think my mind automatically wants to impose some narrative or context on the image, & the expression is impeding that... is he tired? Lethargic? Is he looking at the ceiling? Why?

That probably isn't the sort of crit you want at this stage, but it's the only thing stopping it from reaching full-potential in my view.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #43 on: February 05, 2010, 07:56:17 am
trying to lighten up the outlines. other minor edits.

752etc- I agree, maybe having him look towards the window like so then adding a spaceship or something headed towards him?
I also feel it should read like a narrative, but the fact that it's a bg built up around a sprite does show through. Willing to make changes/quick fixes to correct this as best as possible, but probably won't be reworking anything major.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 08:08:03 am by Cure »

Offline 7321551

• a.k.a. Jarrad
    • View Profile

Reply #44 on: February 05, 2010, 09:46:48 am
Yeah, that's a good idea. The expression adapts to one of resignation-to-impending-doom surprisingly well.  :y:

You could shape the looming spacecraft like a big locust, as a bit of Gary Larson style irony.

Offline Cure

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: February 11, 2010, 06:31:31 am

no huge changes yet

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #46 on: February 12, 2010, 10:20:56 pm
I love this!  ;D

A few points:
I didn't notice the planet until I saw some earlier wips. I think it's hidden by the glass reflections, and has values and hues too close to the ship's.
The door doesn't look spaceshiplike.
The vertical vine left of the door, and horizontal left of that and above the guy look too straight and simple.
The general light looks too even, and doesn't really read as a confined space. Might be better if there were patches of topdown light. I'd mostly darken the image top, parts of the floor and 'tabletop' (left corner mostly).

Offline Cure

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: February 13, 2010, 07:15:40 am

started on that spaceship. i'm thinking space police, perhaps. fits the expression well.
ship still need a lot of work (or a complete overhaul) to look natural, I think.

all good points manupix. the vines were some copy+paste stuff to fill up space, but I forgot about this and have left them shoddy looking.
lighting has definitely been an issue, I'll see what I can do about that in the next update

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #48 on: February 13, 2010, 01:29:07 pm
I think I preferred it when the alien was simply looking into space - the viewer could then make up their own mind as to why he's there and why he's so worried. Now that the police ship has been added I get the feeling it's not so subtle or dramatic and more blatently humorous. Not a bad thing, but it seems to me to be a large difference in the mood of the piece, and I wanted you to be sure you were heading in the right direction.

Offline 7321551

• a.k.a. Jarrad
    • View Profile

Reply #49 on: February 14, 2010, 12:07:53 am
I remain enthusiastic about the police-ship. I find it refreshing... to get the impression that I'm looking into a universe where characters interact & things occur, in contrast to the bulk of pixel-art & non-commercial art generally, which is too often characters standing in nondescript environments without interacting or showing discernible motivation.