AuthorTopic: Transparency with GG  (Read 6453 times)

Offline Krizmo

• Yes, that is me.
    • View Profile

Transparency with GG

on: February 13, 2006, 09:56:37 am
I use TGF for practically all of my spriting, but I need another program to export the pictures to, and I use Graphics Gale. I was wondering if any of you could give me or link me to a tutorial on how to make pictures transparent in Graphics Gale.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 09:58:50 am by Krizmo »
Look for your friends, but do not trust a hope. It is forsaken these lands....

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Re: Transparency with GG

Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 04:56:58 pm
I'm between classes so I don't have Gale in front of me, but this should be fairly accurate.

Make sure your bottom layer is opaque and contains the color you want to set as transparent.

In the frame window, go to frame properties and set the transparent color to the color you want (defaults to whatever's at 0,0). Bang, done.  I think depending on the version you have you might see the transparency in the preview window, but not in the editing window.

Be careful not to just set transparent colors on all your layers, because it won't work; it'll just turn the background color to white (or the closest thing to white in your current palette).
typing ewith fdace

Offline Krizmo

• Yes, that is me.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 05:05:06 am
Ummmm, I'm a bit of a nooby when it comes to GG, so how do you set the layer to opaque?

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 07:55:13 am
opaque = not transparent, just make sure you don't have transparency enabled on it
typing ewith fdace

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 02:08:18 am
i've found transparency to be a nightmare with GG.

seeing as how i JUST went through this, here's what i did.

have your transparent color seeable, don't set it in any of the frames (turn off transparency) or the layers. (this method works for 1 layered stuff only)

save the image as a gif, set whatever you want on the three options.

the image will be reduced to  255 colors.

you should still see the color,
set the transparency correctly in the frames, then in the layers.

if the preview is showing white, it's not going to be properly transparent when it gets uploaded.

^that works for me, watch you don't try to do layer transparency before frame transparency, as the frame will be affected by the layer setting, but the layer won't be affected by the frame. so if you do layer first, the fram will think you're pointing the eyedropper at white >:\

the simplest way to make transparency in gg, is to set the white in your static image to 254 254 254 or 255 255 254 and just use pure white for transparency, heh.
the cheap way around would to be just to link to images instead of embedding them ;)

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 05:07:07 am
the simplest way to make transparency in gg, is to set the white in your static image to 254 254 254 or 255 255 254 and just use pure white for transparency, heh.

actually no, the simplest way is what I said :\ turn on transparency in all layers except the bottom one and set the frame transparency
typing ewith fdace

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 07:14:31 am
Yeah, you're probably best off just listening to someone with more experience than me :|

Offline Krizmo

• Yes, that is me.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 07:55:06 am
*sigh*
I tried both of these, many times, and it is just turning the background to white.... God I hate it so much!! >.<

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 05:50:19 pm
You're doing it wrong.  I know because turning the background to white is what both of us said would happen if you did it wrong. :P

these are the buttons you need to push:

typing ewith fdace

Offline Krizmo

• Yes, that is me.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 07:23:04 am
Well, thank you for being very specific with me, but it's still not working. I did it exactly how you showed me there, and it's still coming up with a white background. Well, seing as how this isn't really woriing, does anyone know any other good animation programs that can give me transparency?