AuthorTopic: Sprites (running, jumping)  (Read 8124 times)

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Sprites (running, jumping)

on: May 19, 2009, 07:28:20 am
Hello guys,
I am creating a game.

Ok lets move on to the art part. This game needs a character, and the character needed to run. So I put together all my knowledge, and even though I never made a run animation before I am quite pleased with it.
Jump animation has just been worked on as well.
For the techies between you guys: How should I make the jump animation so that it is easy to work with in game programming? The full jump sequel with the going up and down, or is it often more useful to just have a start of the jump animation, then an image of the character going up and a loose image of the character going down?

Anyway, here is the stuff. Arne's 16 color palette.
View it at 4x, as that is what its made for.

All help, tips, edits, links to tutorials, or just motivating posts are/is welcome!

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Re: Sprites (running, jumping)

Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 10:30:05 am
the animation is very smooth  :y:

some nitpics though  ;D  (I haven't looked frame by frame)

his far leg the foot seems really uncomfortable when his leg is most extended.

his arms don't move as pleasingly as his legs - they just feel like they're rotating (i think altering the angle of the elbow would help alot)

when you're totally happy with the arms and legs I think you could add interest with a little belly jiggle (sub pixel probably) and maybe the same to the hair.

that leads me on to my final point. i currently read the character as wearing a roman style wreath - is that right?

Offline xbogx

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 12:30:06 pm
for such a high jump i think it would look better if he bent his knees more before he jumps. the way it's now it kinda seems like low gravity

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 01:56:45 pm
* we shouldn't see that much of the far arm when he runs
* the jump is odd to me. Too little effort, even for an unrealistic "flintstone-like" animation. What happens to his feet when falling back doesn't sound right, and you might want to add something that makes the jump more dynamic ... raising an arm, or extending the legs "à la jumpman" ... whatever, but not just standing firm and looking upwards.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 03:40:40 pm
The lower arm should definitely change angle with the upper arm, in the jump you need a much much stronger anticipation, you don't jump off your toes, you bend your legs and hunch your back. Any further critique mentioned above by PypeBros & willfauds I completely agree with as well

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 06:18:51 pm
Loli ya gotta take a step back to the solids for the running.
One big thing I noticed was the morphing of the arms.
You gotta try and keep the same size throughout the whole animation or it will look choppy and strange.

<>
YOURS <> MINE

The back arm is slow, and it was only swinging back for 1 frames, when your right arm goes back for 3 frames, and also it looks like a rising tentacle.
One thing I noticed is your arms were doing very little actual movement, you gotta try and draw the forearm and have it rotate around the joint of the elbow.

Edit*
One thing I'm noticing with the legs is his red leg seems to kick out very straight.
A sprinter runs with high knees I know this man isn't an athlete but his legs still operate the same, it looks more like a kicking motion then a lift of the leg for a step.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 06:25:30 pm by Souly »

Offline Keith

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 09:55:09 pm
I think when jumping he should crouch, and then move his arms upward. When he lands he should hunch down and then straighten up.

The colors and shading are great but the expression seems a bit fake. I tried working around with it but couldn't come up with anything.

Hopefully I'm not restating too much of what has already been said.

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 08:44:23 am
Thanks for all the nice and useful comments!!!

I forgot to mention that the jumping was a messy 10 minute test. I am not even sure yet how high I want him to jump, which is important for the animation I guess. The jump will be fully remade, and the stuff you guys wrote about that will help.

Also, I was aware that the arms were not perfect, but I did not know how to make them like that. Thanks to souly I do now!

Willfaulds, thanks for noticing that leg, I fixed it as soon as I read that!
No, it is not a roman outfit. I hope it is all obvious when I say that it is a fat caveman/stoneage kid?

Here is the new version of the run animation

EDIT
2 modifications. Tell me what you think of them. Oh and btw, the game is supposed to be a bit funny, humor style, so I will have to bring more humor in my sprites if possible.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 09:23:00 am by lollige »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 11:33:08 am
I don't see shoulder movement going on where it should, you see, when an arm is brought forwards the shoulder blade will follow and rotate across the rib cage more to the front, and the same is when the arm is brought back.
Now your arms go fairly far to the front, and I think they should go further to the back as well to bring this run cycle into a balance, because like this the change in motion going back forwards feels really abrupt. That could also be due to the timing in your frames though.

The first modification I like, the second is a bit overdone, so you could stick to this because it is indeed looking quite funny =)

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 09:09:37 am
hey,

only a little minor crit. when he comes down to contact on the jump his feet are at 90 degrees from the ground, making it look like hes going to land on the apex of his toes crush his ankle break his leg and that flab is going to end as his new feet. thats it ^^.

your choice of color, is your voice of color
BallsArt