AuthorTopic: explosion animation  (Read 7830 times)

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

explosion animation

on: February 11, 2006, 06:04:13 am

New work. C+C?

Offline Silver

• View Profile

Re: explosion animation

Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 07:23:20 am
Looks great, but i think you should try to make some empty frames before loopin the whole animation again .
Just my opinion, goodluck bro

Offline Schu

• The front is a lemon avenue flying straightly
    • View Profile
    • Eyegore-net

Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 07:30:23 am
Good colour choice but it doesn't seem complete. Could maybe use a smaller startoff (depending on what is blowing up) and dissipate at the end, unless of course you want it to just constantly explode ;D Right now, it seems more like a strobe light. If you need some visual references for help, I'd say check out some of the metal slug sprites or from megaman.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 09:48:18 am
 Thanks for the crits and comments you guys. It improved my skill on making exploding animations a lot.  :)

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 10:51:10 pm
Sorry to be Mr Negative but it doesn't look like an explosion to me, just a weird flashing blob. Is there a particular game's style you're trying to emulate?
--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline Zoggles

• Conjuring stuff
    • View Profile
    • Mini Wizard Studios

Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 11:00:21 am
I have to agree with DrDerekDoctors, it doesn't look much like an explosion except for the colour choice. The central white area remains the same size and just the red outer edge seems to grow and then shrink back. Also, its very uniform in shape, explosions/fire/smoke etc don't tend to be. (However, uniform explosions can work in some types of game) Try making the whole explosion grow in size and dissipate, and use the palette to make it brighter as it explodes, and then darker again as all that remains is smoke and debris.

Here's an explosion effect I did some time back for a game I was working on as an example. Probably not the best example, but its the best I have lying around.

-Z-

Sorry if I don't seem to ever comment on your posts, but anything hosted on imageshack or most image hosting web sites is blocked from China. If I can't see it I can't therefore comment on it :(

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 08:50:21 am
 Here are my new results. Just a small explosion.

Offline Zoggles

• Conjuring stuff
    • View Profile
    • Mini Wizard Studios

Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 11:38:59 am
That looks at least 10 times better, but I think transparency in the gif is causing frame overlay problems with the overall animation and the larger parts of the explosion not disappearing/fading out.

-Z-

Sorry if I don't seem to ever comment on your posts, but anything hosted on imageshack or most image hosting web sites is blocked from China. If I can't see it I can't therefore comment on it :(

Offline reydragk

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 12:30:47 am
Here are my new results. Just a small explosion.

it looks good at 1X size, but if you're planning to make the game more than that, as I'm guessing you are, it looks a little odd when you zoom in because each fram basically just adds a color on top of the previous frame...

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 04:24:17 am
suggestion, dont make an explosion loop infinitely on the same place whitout leaving atleast a half good second before it loops.

Explosions are all about disruption, so if they just play back over and over they cant do anything but look lame.

you're on the right path with your new explosion, I'd add some sparks n smokes for extra oomph.

Zogs.....did someone reference really really really heavily on Mslug explosions? ;)

PS:did someone ever post that Raiden explosion in that thread you made about explosions earlier? I always did feel curious.

http://www.glu.com/games/game.php?game=alpha_wing2 check the mini trailer's explosions there for simple good looking explosions.