AuthorTopic: GR#119 - Project Deadbird - Gameart, Sprites, Icons, Conceptart  (Read 28710 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile
Thanks for viewing, this is Project Deadbird. Don't ask why it's called Deadbird; I don't know either( more info in other posts)
-OVERVIEW OF GAME CONCEPT-
Play the role of a criminal convicted of horrible crimes, who's punishment is eternal isolation from the world he knows; left for dead you must use the resources of this forsaken land to fend off Hordes of demons that come by the night wishing nothing other than your end.

I've been feeling very productive lately, so I decided I would go back and work on some old game ideas of mine.  My pixeling muscles are a little weak so I would appreciate all the critique I can get. Since this is for a game readability is one of my most important concerns- I believe if I had it made it would be at at least 2x resolution so you can put that into account. Before I indulge with you the basic premise and story and such id like to see if what I've created so far is identifiable without context, so here goes:

« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 02:10:43 am by Ryumaru »

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Re: Making a game :o

Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 05:32:49 am
Would you like us to try to identify what you've drawn?

What I see is this:

A pretty buff guy, nearly fully unclothed, with short brown hair.
Below that, the same or a similar dude with some kind of dark blue torn cape or so.
Of course next to that is the dudes profile, and underneath it, a tent.

As for the little icons..
-Some kind of teeth or fangs
-A feather
-Bone and Skull
-Some kind of fabric stained in blood
-A bone with a little bit of meat on it
-Berries
-Either a log, a hammer, or some kind of canister
-Necklace/Pendant
-Book
-A rock (maybe an ore)
-Some kind of plant

Below that I see weapons:
-Large, thin bone with a sharp rock tied to it.
-Sharp, sickle-shaped bone, with 'strings' between it. (Not sure what kind of application this weapon has, besides being a weapon.)
-Short, sharp bone.
-Long stick
-Sharp Rock
-Bow and Arrow

I'm guessing this game takes place some time fairly far back in the past?

I think most of it looks pretty lovely, the only thing that looks a little off to me is the profile, the top of the head is rather flat looking.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 05:59:15 am
Wow Dr.D you are... completely accurate. Im glad to know that you could identify them well.
Except for the character- supposed to have longish dark hair. I agree with you on the profile.

The game is supposed to be a sort of survival game. During the day you are free to roam around and explore, find things of use such as wood and stones to create weapons and other things. At night, demons come to try and extinguish you, and by killing them you can get 3 main things: Bones, Hide/skin, and meat ( which are 3 of the items you mentioned) and then each different demon species has one special item given such as the feather and fangs.
The game might not necessarily be in the past, but he is stranded without new technology and so has very primitive things.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 07:01:29 am
Oh, yeah. Well his hair is obviously long, don't know why I said short.

It looks very promising, keep up the good work.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 02:56:39 pm
I love most of it so my only crits are that the light changing on the tent makes no sense to me and that the second weapon (axe-type-thing) looks fragile to use and complicated to make
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Tobe

• www.rayteoactive.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 04:02:04 pm
Yea, the tent definitely looks wrong in comparison.

Also... is the side view of the character standing in a different pose as the front and back.
The side view pose seems like more... straighten up?

readability wise, I have some problem with the fang + meat with bone actually. You might want to try and beef them up a little.

anyway, really love the style and colors  :D

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 04:45:13 am
Dr D: Thanks : D

ndchristie: on the tent there is supposed to be like, a blood splatter, could that be what you are referring too? Either way I made another tent, better? worse?
Oh and the second weapon, yeah I was just playing around, I'm horrible at weapon design- is the new one any more plausible?

Tobe: the differing positions is probably due to faulty perspective like sometimes in a 3/4 perspective the side views are almost straight on.
Also, I redid the fangs and meat, tell me if the are more readable, actually redid a lot and would like to hear everybody's opinion on them.

Also, a spoiler :]

Thanks for taking the time to comment everybody.

edit: Oh, almost forgot. At the bottom is the beginnings of attempts of my nightmare: animation. I'm positively horrible with it. Any animation help would be VERY appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 04:47:37 am by Ryumaru »

Offline robotriot

• Tubby mechanical friend
    • View Profile
    • robotriot

Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 09:12:43 am
I think the tent would look a lot better if it wasn't symmetrical. Make the lighting come either from the left or from the right.

Regarding your animation: it looks like you're using the idle frame as part of the walk cycle, that's something you shouldn't do because in reality, it just doesn't happen. You should change the idle frames to passing frames for each leg, where one of them is pretty much straight, and the other is bent, passing the first leg. Take a look at some walkcycle tutorials like http://www.idleworm.com/how/anm/02w/walk1.shtml
WELCOME TO BATTLE SQUADRON

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 02:13:38 pm
I like this so much you made me come out of my pixelation-hibernation to do an edit.

Yours:

Mine:

I imagine you can see most of the changes I made pretty easily. Some of the main ones were I knocked the changes in the torso and arms down a notch so that there's more continuity between the frames. so it's easier for the eye to follow what's going on. Did a lot of work on the legs, especially the two frames where both his feet were on the ground at the same time, I changed it so that the one passing to the front was raised up. Added a little bob to the head and body, as well as a few other minor things.

Anyway, did I mention that this is totally wicked awesome and I hope you finish it?  :y:

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 12:03:14 am
Robotroit: Yes those are my thoughts as well, but my ideas for the game include day progression which would of course change the direction and placement of the shadows. Of the two tents, which one do you prefer however? Would it be improved if I kept the light source top down and instead just individually shaded both sides? thankyou for your comment :]

Pawige: Wow, firstly its an honor to hear you say that you came out of hibernation just for this! I really admire your animation skills and was actually looking at your site just yesterday! Yep those changes are clear as day; not to mention the pace of your animation is just perfect! thankyou very much for your edit!