AuthorTopic: GR#119 - Project Deadbird - Gameart, Sprites, Icons, Conceptart  (Read 28720 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Making a game :o [ Project Deadbird]

Reply #30 on: July 01, 2010, 08:46:35 pm
Olothontor: Oh wow, never heard of the place! If I ever get some sort of a foundation with the graphics on this I will definitely go there.
Mathias: I have no experience with game design or programming- so as a pixel artist I'm going to make pixels. In my head this game being actually made it merely a pleasant "what it" or at best a " maybe it will" but that said looking at it in the intended resolution It is too big. Honestly it was an old piece that I had started back when I started making sprites for this years ago and just decided to finish rendering it. Perhaps the avatar would be more fitting for an inventory view where the entire screen would be dedicated to that sort of thing.

Ptoing: I will make a new display that takes all those points into consideration.
Short fix: I lowered the saturation of the red in my sig a good bit but I'll change the hue to something less intense soon.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: July 02, 2010, 04:37:42 am
I tried to sketch out some ideas for a new display and I came up with some things. I'm using these icons just as shorthand representation. in the first one the idea is the HUD is a stone slab with hand carvings on either side that "hold" the weapons of the characters left and right hand, and in the middle it shows his life and hydration bar. The one next to it is the same thing but taking away the connection part for more viewing area. Then on the bottom is another idea I had which would just display his life/hydration and on each side larger scale images of the items in either hand.

I'm interested in what you guys think so don't hesitate to comment :]t

edit: also, an update on the south walking animation- taking into account arachne's points
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 10:36:46 am by Ryumaru »

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: July 02, 2010, 11:53:50 am
The white is very bright, as is its nature, but that makes it pop out a ton. While I understand why you'd want the equipment to be obvious, I think you overshot a little. Tone it down a bit! :D

As for the HUDs themselves, I like the concepts. The detail was toned down a lot, and they're a lot smaller. I personally like the HUD with the connector bit at the top, I think it adds the most feel without detracting from the player's view or gameplay.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa

Offline Porque

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: July 02, 2010, 09:34:01 pm
I am really digging that style, it looks really cool. Somehow it keep me reminding of Diablo II.
I would suggest to get inspiration for a HUD by looking at Diablo's HUD.

I would also say lose the colors in the hud (the purple like 1) It looks amazing but I think it doesnt fit the character.
The character looks like a barbarian type that uses bones, stones etc. as weapons. And the hud makes me think
hes more like a mystic warrior/paladin type or anything like that :P

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: July 03, 2010, 07:15:49 am
Olothontor: Thanks for your opinion :D yeah when I incorporate those Ideas I will most likely tone down the white. Not to mention once it's full scale the single pixel outline would make less of a difference. You picked my favorite too :D I think it'll leave enough room but also make some opportunities for some pretty pixeling.

Porque:
I guess in a way that the Diablo hud is very similar to the 3rd display composition, with the bars at the bottom and two equipments on either side. Also the character represented in the sprites is kind of different than the more demonic one represented in the previous HUD. I had the idea of the display transforming after the character did- I might still use details from that in things such as status screens.

Thanks for the comments guys.
heres a north facing walk cycle( i guess he's closer to running than walking actually) and I'm marginally satisfied with it given my deplorable animation skills.

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: July 03, 2010, 03:05:35 pm
Porque:
I guess in a way that the Diablo hud is very similar to the 3rd display composition, with the bars at the bottom and two equipments on either side. Also the character represented in the sprites is kind of different than the more demonic one represented in the previous HUD. I had the idea of the display transforming after the character did- I might still use details from that in things such as status screens.

Wow, I like that idea a lot. I seriously wish I was enough of a programmer to team up with you, but I couldn't tackle something this big.

Anywho, I think the animation is a bit... I dunno. It seems very clunky and stompy. Unfortunately, I have no animation experience whatsoever, I don't have a clue as to how one would fix that. And I guess you already knew it was kinda awkward... so this post was useless. Nevermind :(
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile
    • Elrinth's personal webpage

Reply #36 on: July 03, 2010, 04:35:45 pm
Would XNA be an okay platform for you?
"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind!" - Edward D. Morrison
Mai fav games: Seiken Densetsu, Rockman, Doom, Final Fantasy, Zelda no Densetsu, Metroid, Kid Icarus
Fav consoles: Sharp Twin Fami, Super Nintendo Jr., Wintendo Gamecube

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #37 on: July 04, 2010, 03:28:43 am
Olothontor: Hah no worries for speaking your opinion! My animation skills are barely passable so some of the awkwardness is that it's only a 4 frame animation but I'm trying to make the most out of them.

Elrinth: I have no experience with XNA but it seems it has xbox live capabilities? I know next to nothing of a game ACTUALLY being made so I would have no knowledge to say any way or the other.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #38 on: July 08, 2010, 01:29:51 pm
Having some difficulties settling on the HUD now that It's full size and I decided to add some elements. The green bar would be experience- and I find that important enough to post on the HUD because visual representation of growth is satisfying. Also added the day to night phases as having a clear cut visual of where the day is would be important in keeping track of time and how much is left before the nocturne's battle would start.
It's obviously in a bare bones state at the moment, but any advice or ideas on the composition and arrangement of everything inside would be much appreciated:

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #39 on: July 08, 2010, 02:51:19 pm
hey man if youre making games i think its not really so much important to get caught up in the end product look/feel right away. usually youll go through several iterations to get many aspects of your game looking the way you want it (or the way your boss wants it). if the HUD is giving you some trouble, use a simple, sensible layout at first, being minimalistic, and then move on to the rest of your game. things like HUD design may very well be influenced by the progression of your game's content, so sometimes its best not to commit to these things too soon. Spend that time on content content content! :)