AuthorTopic: [WIP]Chameleon C+C and Greetings  (Read 2267 times)

Offline PioneerToTheFalls

• View Profile

[WIP]Chameleon C+C and Greetings

on: May 16, 2009, 07:51:12 am
Hello everybody!  I just signed up for this forum and feel ready to make some pixel art!  I am a (hobbyist) game programmer and I'd like to improve my pixel pushing skills for my games.  I used to draw a bit in high school but that died out when I discovered programming.  I feel I still have some eye for art, but other than that my artistic talent has died out(it was smothered by C++ in it's sleep).  Well I am here to try and revive the right side of my brain(with a bolt of lightning if I have to Haha).  Without further ado here is my work:

I think this is my best piece of pixel art so far.  I made it for one of my incomplete game projects about a year ago.  Don't let the palette fool you.  :P  I did not try for any type of color conservation whatsoever with it.  I am sure I used a bit more than what is on that palette.

This was something that I started with no image at all.  I just made a green swirl and the rest popped into my head.  I am not all that happy with the branches in the background but I like the proportions I have for the lizard. The lighting is coming straight from the right.  It is not all that apparent yet.  I am trying to use as few colors as possible and is pretty difficult.  I have no clue how you guys manage to make pieces that completely put this to shame with only 4 colors.  It just occurred to me how maybe a chameleon was not the best choice for my first excursion into color conservation... :lol:  I tried my hand at dithering; so far not so good..  The more I look at the the more that shadow behind it's back leg annoys me.  What was I thinking?  :yell:

I'd appreciate any comments and critiques on these two pieces.  Though I don't think I'll make changes to the ship(that is unless somebody completely blows me out of the water w/ a suggestion),  I will most certainly take notes and try to implement them in my future pieces.

Offline PioneerToTheFalls

• View Profile

Re: [WIP]Chameleon C+C and Greetings

Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 03:00:27 am
Update! :)

I feel I've learned a lot with this piece.  I can't really see how to improve this chameleon..  I gave in some and added a 4th shade of green. 
I read more about dithering and made a practice sphere.

It came out looking like an orange...  That is probably a bad thing but I still like it.  :lol:

I also tried to make a character that turned out crappy.