AuthorTopic: 8 Point perspective with Tesseracts?  (Read 5235 times)

Offline Zombiechao

• View Profile

8 Point perspective with Tesseracts?

on: May 10, 2009, 09:51:36 pm
I was just reading thishttp://www.termespheres.com/perspective.html and was wondering are there 6 points for the 6 faces of a cube? Would there be 4 vanishing points if people saw in 2-d? 2 for 1 dimension? 1 for 0 dimensions?
If people saw in 4-d would there be 8 vanishing points (one for each solid)? I think that could make a cool optical effect.
But how could this be drawn?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 09:54:38 pm by Zombiechao »

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Re: 8 Point perspective with Tesseracts?

Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 09:22:52 am
And how would you see in 4D? As long as we can not even see in 4D, I really wonder how you are going to draw that way. Actually we all draw 2d all the time.

Offline andy_w

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 11:16:47 pm
if you assume the fourth dimension to be time instead of another spatial dimension, then technically, 2D animations are like low resolution (few frames instead of a "duration" of movement) 3D images (with time instead of depth for the third dimension) and a 3 dimensional holographic animation would be a 4-dimensional image.

you mentioned tesseracts / hypercubes, though. I don't really believe those can be accurately represented in 2 dimensions without losing most of the spatial meaning of the shape, and I dunno about 8 point perspective. It'd be interesting to see, though.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 12:11:08 am
I've read that it's possible to almost-accurately depict a certain number of dimensions in a medium with one less dimension than the one depicted. Like, using 2D, we can give the illusion of 3D. To achieve something 4D, we would need to fake it through 3D. So it's definitely not possible to draw in 2D. If you really wanna give yourself a headache, go try to learn these games. http://harmen.vanderwal.eu/hypercube/