AuthorTopic: Day of the Tentacle art  (Read 16122 times)

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Re: Day of the Tentacle art

Reply #20 on: May 13, 2009, 04:35:54 am
Ptoing & Jad, thanks for explaining! Leaves me a little emotionally confused, the thought that some great looking pixel art boils down to a Photoshop-clone with a limited palette. I really have to learn PS and all the tricks to getting work done quicker. :|
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: May 13, 2009, 05:53:01 pm
Nice, so that's how they did it. Anyone know how much cleanup these scans would have had to go through?

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: May 13, 2009, 08:12:09 pm
Quite a bit, I'd wager. Which is why I thought it'd be faster to just draw on top of the scan. That .gif is pretty telling though.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 01:46:38 pm
Ptoing & Jad, thanks for explaining! Leaves me a little emotionally confused, the thought that some great looking pixel art boils down to a Photoshop-clone with a limited palette. I really have to learn PS and all the tricks to getting work done quicker. :|

This is why pixel art purism baffles me. The fact that scans and photoshop tools were used has absolutely zero indication of the talent involved in creating the image. Compare these to the backgrounds from ANY Sierra adventure and you'll see what I mean. There were no rules about what consitutes "proper" pixel art when these games were made. They were given restrictions by the programmers or by their software and they had to do the best they could to make appealing art within those restrictions.

Modern pixel artists tend to be super-conservative (not politically, but philosophically), clinging to a set of rules and afraid to deviate from it much, whereas the artists who made these original works were very liberal (philosophically), daring to try new techniques, break rules and invent things as they went in order to create their art.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 02:49:06 pm
It depends to what ends you work. If I do stuff for pay, I use all kinds of indexing and other things, to get the job done and to make it look nicer.
Tho when I pixel purely for fun I enjoy going purist to a certain degree.

I got no clue why many other people are super purist, I just do it because I enjoy it.

Also you have to look at what these screens are made for and that they are made under a strict timeschedule.
They are good art with good direction, but they are technically not pixelart (as I and other see it) as there is no attention to pixel level detail in most places. Same goes for the sprites. They are just nicely animated filled coloured outlines. They are done to be produced efficiently and quick while maintaining a fun and easy to read style, not more, not less.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 04:17:54 pm by ptoing »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #25 on: May 15, 2009, 01:06:02 am
@Ben2theEdge -

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that the folk who use indexing etc don't have as much talent as someone who doesn't - I messed up that sentence, I can see. I meant the SPEED at which such talent is accomplished. That's what I want. If I have the speed, I can churn out more art quicker. The quicker I can churn stuff out, the more I can practice actually 'finishing' different things. The more I finish things, the better I'll be, and thus hopefully some talent will grow.

I guess folk must spend a lot more time anti-aliasing pixel art in PS than if they were indexing in Promotion.

Edit: Not to say it's a complete substitute either - but it'd seem there are areas where it could save time, that's all.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 01:38:00 am by Scribblette »
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #26 on: May 15, 2009, 01:08:08 am
The automated aa is not a substitute for manual aa.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.