AuthorTopic: cait  (Read 9024 times)

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

cait

on: May 09, 2009, 11:51:12 am
hey everyone,

ive been doing this port for about a week. its for a friend because she wants me to do her.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/3006/caits.jpg

im looking more for a suttle look than the look done in ref. so minor differences. also the shoulder should have been dropped since thats what im going to do. still getting there with that.  yes i did trace the main outline of face and hair (no features.) and there we have it.

thanks all,

your choice of color, is your voice of color
BallsArt

Offline Hugo

• View Profile

Re: cait

Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 07:58:02 pm
the left eye goes too much on the right, and the right eye goes too much on the left... as a result she seems to have strabismus.

a lot of the malicious-ness is lost in your edit... Maybe work more on her smile, her eyes... i dunno, maybe it was the arm (since in many Renaissance paintings woman with arm raised up = erotic innuendo).

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 08:20:08 pm
You made her cross-eyed  :B

Quote from: balls01
ive been doing this port for about a week. its for a friend because she wants me to do her.

She wants you to do her and you are wasting your time making pictures of her?  ;)

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 04:06:40 am
You made her cross-eyed  :B

i did too.

the left eye goes too much on the right, and the right eye goes too much on the left... as a result she seems to have strabismus.
so your saying. the eyes need to be shifted, and strabismus is the symptoms thaat cause the eyes to be like that?

BallsArt

Offline Hugo

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 08:10:45 am
"so your saying. the eyes need to be shifted, and strabismus is the symptoms thaat cause the eyes to be like that?"  :P

oups, sorry, my english is so bad ! i meant she's cross-eyed...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 08:15:19 am by Hugo »

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 12:55:36 pm

a lot of the malicious-ness is lost in your edit... Maybe work more on her smile, her eyes... i dunno, maybe it was the arm (since in many Renaissance paintings woman with arm raised up = erotic innuendo).

wait just clearing up. our left. or her left. it confused me? also. i dont know if its me just staring at it too much but your saying: left = shift right, right= shift left? (as in the eye-ball)

BallsArt

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 02:00:47 pm
Nice work mate  :) There's still plenty of issues here's a quick list:

1. Head lines aren't even close to perfect/pure yet here's a quicky edit

2. The coloring is jaggy

3. colors are maybe bad can't say well my screen shows colors oddly  :-[ (gotta calibrate it)

4. Why making it so big ???

Not much but the main thing is the lines work on them  :)

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 11:13:05 am
Nice work mate  :) There's still plenty of issues here's a quick list:

1. Head lines aren't even close to perfect/pure yet here's a quicky edit

2. The coloring is jaggy

3. colors are maybe bad can't say well my screen shows colors oddly  :-[ (gotta calibrate it)

4. Why making it so big ???

Not much but the main thing is the lines work on them  :)

answers (i dont want to sound like im making excuses but, most of them i do agree)

1.head lines as is the hair - the top of the pic.

2. because its drafting, they will be clean when ive got the levels and overall shape right.

3. yeah, i do believe the colors are abit to light for her natural skin tone, i may darken them.

4. because i'm still getting used to my tablet so i dont want to set myself too far from confortable since i have alot to catch up on (tracing the head is the way i did this.)

edited the skin tone. i think this is more correct, also, i hope the cross eyed problem is resolved, i tried but me bieng super confused i dont think i got my head around it
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 12:36:00 pm by balls01 »

BallsArt

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 02:08:24 pm
Do you use gimp, photoshop or paint ?

If you use photoshop like i do  :) i recommend you not to use tablet when you have clear ref pic because you can use that "Freeform Pen Tool" to make the lines faster and more clear :)
but if this is just a practice how to use a tablet then it's OK  :P I have used my wacom tablet only twice so i haven't actually even trained using it (not much use for it  :ouch:)

The skin tone your using now is somehow perfect  :D

Keep it going  :y:;)

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 05:45:54 pm
My critique is not on pixel art but your use of reference.

There is a term in art called "being a slave to reference" which I think applies here.

What is the point of outlining and copying the reference pixel by pixel? If you want an exact likeness just take a picture with a camera and hand her the picture.

The idea of reference is to make sure your drawing something correctly, not to copy it line for line.

I wanted to say a bunch more on this but I forgot most of what I was going to say :blind: so instead I will just show you what I did.

correct use of reference:

No outlining, this was all freehand. Its not exactly the girl in the picture but its close enough, and I added some stuff obviously.

Some basic critiques about your version:

1. The cheek is way too puffy.

2. The lower jaw hangs down too far.

Oh yes, now I remember something I was going to say about outlining. Really, its not as useful as you might think. Thats because the pictures are not made of real lines, its made of color variations, so you won't be 100% correct when you outline, no matter how carefully you do it. So the result will be somewhat distorted, even though you outlined it. In the end you will have to hand-correct it to make it look right anyway.