AuthorTopic: Animation Frames per second?  (Read 7401 times)

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Animation Frames per second?

on: May 09, 2009, 12:24:41 am
How can you tell what frames per second your animation is.  For a program like graphics gale where you can control the speed of a frame but you also have the individual frames, and in some programs (MMF2) you lose the speed you set up for the gif and have to set up a new one.

What I'm wondering is how can you tell what FPS your animation is at?  For too long I have not know this so no more, I must know.  Otherwise I'm gonna have animations of varying FPS which is going to look weird.

Can a kind soul help me out here?

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Re: Animation Frames per second?

Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 01:43:34 pm
How can you tell what frames per second your animation is.  For a program like graphics gale where you can control the speed of a frame but you also have the individual frames, and in some programs (MMF2) you lose the speed you set up for the gif and have to set up a new one.

What I'm wondering is how can you tell what FPS your animation is at?  For too long I have not know this so no more, I must know.  Otherwise I'm gonna have animations of varying FPS which is going to look weird.

Can a kind soul help me out here?

For GIFs, FPS is only notional, since each frame can last for a different duration.  GIFs don't have an 'overall speed'; For example, GIMP's "animation playback" plugin reflects this by providing a speed control which is measured in percent (400%/300%/200%/100%/50%/33%/25%).
If MMF does not respect the individual frame duration settings of your GIF when you import it, that is an entirely separate issue (one which you should probably investigate via some MMF-related forum). If MMF simply doesn't support per-frame duration, you're more or less SOl (though finding out the MMF default value that will be assigned can help you to work around this.)

If you're just looking to find out what durations are assigned to what frames in a particular GIF, I cannot comment on GraphicsGale.. I can say that in GIMP, the speed is part of the layer name (eg 'Frame 1 (2000ms)' -- Frame 1 lasts 2 seconds), and so, renaming a layer appropriately and then saving again changes the duration of a specific frame.
GIMP also has a 'Force all frames to use this duration' option when saving, that you might find useful (I expect GGale would also have a similar option).
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 02:03:17 pm
I recommend Gif Movie Gear for viewing and compiling all GIF animations.  the timing options are great and simple.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 01:58:07 am
So it's not like in traditional animation how you can have 24 fps on 1s which is 24 drawings per second or you can have it at 24fps on 2s which is half the drawings. 

Also I'll talk to the developers at MMF and see if there is a way to import gifs without changing the speed.  The only way I know of changing the speed per frame in MMF is by doubling up the frames.