AuthorTopic: Game Sprite: Splash the Cat [C+C] [WIP]  (Read 5288 times)

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Game Sprite: Splash the Cat [C+C] [WIP]

on: May 06, 2009, 07:02:19 pm
EDIT 5: 9/3/2009

EDIT 4: 9/2/2009

EDIT 3 (8/18/2009):

EDIT2:
Possible improvement? ->

This is a sprite for a game I'm helping my younger cousin make. His main character, Splash:

8-Direction standing pose, and an animation.

I'm planning on adding more poses and animations as I am able.  All C+C is welcome and wanted!

EDIT: Tentative walking animation -->  

« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 12:00:19 pm by Bissle »

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Re: Game Sprite: Splash the Cat [C+C] [WIP]

Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 01:34:55 pm
This might come off as sounding a bit harsh, but is he supposed to be a cat, or a dude in a cat suit? Right now, it looks like a suit to me. The shape of the body, the way the arms and legs seem sewn on, and the neckless head makes him look kinda like some sort of sports mascot or something. Also, why is his tail a baseball bat...? I'm sorry, that's just all I can think of when I look at him.

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 08:45:33 pm
Meh, no need to apologize-- and yes, it's a cat. I'm not sure in what way the limbs look sown on; the shading, the pose, what ? I do see the resemblance to a sports mascot, especially regarding the necklessness. I'd love to make the character more "organic"; however I've already strayed enough from the original design (i.e.,  a black Sonic)-- I'm not sure if my cousin would tolerate any more changes.

The tail... uh... seriously needs work.  :P

EDIT: An outline with a neck and a more natural tail -> Not sure if this is a step in the right direction.

Also begun work on another character: ->
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 09:03:56 pm by Bissle »

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 10:16:36 pm
Hee. I'm hoping someone else'll pick up where I started with the critiques. I don't hang around these parts much nowdays, my pixel skills are incredibly rusty.

The thing I think bothers me is the overall anatomy. He doesn't have much in the way of features. His body looks a little like a blob with some other blobs stuck on it. And yes, the shading was the thing that made me feel the limbs looked sown on. There's a pretty obvious seam where the limbs meet the body. On the other hand, sonic's pretty much a blob, too, if that's the style you want to go for... Hm, I don't know. Apparently my critiquing skills are also fantastically rusty! Well, okay, one thing. His feet look kinda eerie to me. Even Sonic had shoes. If you don't wanna do shoes, consider giant kitty paws instead of feet.

Oh, there we go, things are coming back a bit. Slowly. If he's the main character, wouldn't you want his design to be a little snazzier? I'd want some sort of marking, at least, like white paws, or lighter belly or something. Pink chick's looking pretty snazzy though. I like the expression.

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 05:45:26 pm
I'm hoping the same thing-- I'm kind of lost regarding this character design. I don't want to make a Sonic clone (though my cousin probably wants to, hehe), so I have to work harder to come up with both a creative and pleasing look for him.

I'm going to start over from scratch, but this is just to test my shading. Do his limbs still look sewed on?

I admit I've grown a little attached to the feet, weirdness and all. And I'm hating how the underbelly--it's just that his torso is so empty. Maybe he needs a shirt or something. :P

And thanks for liking Rose--I didn't think it would be possible to make that expression with those eyes, but I managed.

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 01:50:40 pm
It's been almost four months, but ah, well.

I'm still lost as to this character design--my cousin's improved on it some; it's less of a Sonic recolor. I came up with this:

But I could never get past the outline stage with the lower body, and it seems awkward to animate. Eventually I started from scratch and got this:

The proportions are pretty cute and maybe more cat-like, but the shading... meh.

Here are some of his other characters that I've sprited, all in drastically different styles.  ???

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 08:01:57 am
Just added an update on the sprite, along with some animations I'm working on.  ;D

Offline snowsoft

• View Profile
    • Snowsoft blog

Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 04:45:34 pm
I'm digging the newest run animation. It has a very cartoony feel to it. Almost Roadrunner/Sonic-esque. Hope that was what you were going for.
As for the walk, it still needs a bit of work. Right now it looks more like he is just kicking his feet out repeatedly. It almost appears as if he is slipping on ice rather than walking.
I know I have linked this site before, but http://www.idleworm.com/how/anm/02w/walk1.shtml has some really good walking help. What I see right away on the walk is that there is not a noticeable high point or recoil frame. His legs never really bend, his feet just slide out and then back.

Good looking sprite, though I think I liked his head on the 3rd edit more. More of an attitude.  :hehe:
“Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”
http://snowsoft.wordpress.com/

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 11:58:21 am
Thanks, I was hoping it'd be 'Sonic-esque' instead of 'Sonic-ripoff', hehe. xD

Ooo, good call on the walk cycle. I posted an edit on the top post. I redid the leg animations from scratch and added more 'bounce' to the body and face... which probably means I need to do the same to the running cycle, damnit.  :P

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 09:50:35 am
Definitely a step in the right direction, I still feel the sliding, though. There are no frames were the feet really push themselves off the ground. If you're not already drawing on actual ground that's to be used in your game, I feel you should, especially since you're working with what seems to be a slightly tilted perspective. It can be hard to get right.

On another note, his arms seem a bit short and stubby, and like so, aren't really helping the walking animation much, I think.