AuthorTopic: A dissection of Mandy. Codename: Iceman revisited  (Read 8593 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
http://asides-bsides.blogspot.com/2009/05/mandy.html

I could have posted this whole article here but I think it might be of interest to a more general audience also. Discuss and comment as you desire.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Re: A dissection of Mandy. Codename: Iceman revisited

Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 06:42:07 pm
Very enlightening, and your edit is a huge improvement. ;D

I don't think the regular dithering pattern works, though, since the limited palette makes the rows of pixels stand out quite a bit. It looks particularly bad where it comes together around her cheekbone. I think something more random would make it look more organic. The right eye is also still too far off to the right.

Otherwise, I'm always impressed when someone manages to render things well using EGA colors. So in conclusion, :0'

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 06:53:39 pm
I sorta found that if I pulled the left eye in too much it wasn't the same face anymore so I kept the error. No excuse for the hair though... just got tired of rendering hairs to make a point.

I don't think I'll ever develop an instinct for using random dithering. I know theoretically when I should, but I think in orderly fashion when I pixel too much to consider such chaotic Go movements as the seemingly 'random' patterned dithering.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 08:36:58 pm
How very German of you.  ;)
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 11:16:05 pm
Quite a nice reading, very interesting and detailed, also from the emotional side.  Your edit is very stylish and, heheh, neo-80s/90s (it bears some typical "oldschool" characteristics, like the strong "fixed" dithering bits---which I really admire---yet possesses the fresh spirit of the modern pixel art).  I really like the part on fake-vector modes, as this is probably the first time I'm reading about it -- never tried to look at it in this way, and now it seems so obvious.

The hair may look a bit neglected (the rightmost part mainly) but that's something that slips out of your attention when you stay focused on the face rendering (which is brighter -- stands out) and the animation.

Wish you more of such wonderful article ideas!

ps/edit: Oh, and I see you always were more of a Sierra guy. :)  LucasArts for me, I really dig their graphics styles -- just recall Loom; it has probably the best EGA (originally, then they did that VGA remake) graphics I've ever seen in an early 90s game.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 01:00:26 am by johnnyspade »
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 06:50:33 pm
I didn't know the Sierra games had vector graphics. That ship in SpaceQuest III is hot. I like the Spider Droid in the first game too.

I can't say that I like the graphics or sound of these old PC games. It's a pretty boring palette and midi/pc speaker whatever sound is quite tough on the ears. However, after having looked though the Space Quest stuff, I think I prefer the older pixel graphics over the later painted stuff. The space suit which Wilco wears in the first game is quite nice, kinda space-knight'y. At least I can make my own liberal interpretation there.

The VGA remake gfx for SQ1 is kind of stale with a more realistic head scale. The aliased backgrounds and crisp sprites feels very disjointed.

I liked some of the character animations is SP3, they brought the pixels to life.

Edit: Seems like sound quality depends on sound card. Unfortunately the Let's play videos I watched has pretty bad sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhshSsT3mzw - Bad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rqbtvGpmp8 - Ok
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 09:35:19 am by Arne »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 09:34:39 pm
Uhm, just a heads up Helm...all of your images both here and in the blog seem to be down. On the blog, when I click on the image to get a full view I get redirected to some Godaddy ad page.

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 12:05:57 am
Golly that video was painful to watch. Unfortunately your images aren't currently showing on the site - seem to have chewed through your bandwidth. There's always photobucket...
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 05:13:10 am
I've been thinking and I believe as far as CG goes my thing is really vectors, but this style...this oldschool pixel-ish style....I go nuts about those vectored BGs in old games...something with that aim would be ok to post in Low-Spec section right?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 03:19:24 pm
The images are all back up.

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 01:18:55 am
Forgot to say, all that reminds me of the idea of the Commercial Critique thread.  I'd certainly play with remaking some oldschool adventure game stuff!

Conceit : Go ahead!  I'd really love to see more of those! :D
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 06:46:48 pm
This was a very interesting read. There's something special about those old games. It really shows how limited computers was back then compared to the monster machines of today.
Very good explanations, easy to comprehend even for outsiders like me.
Forgot to say, all that reminds me of the idea of the Commercial Critique thread.  I'd certainly play with remaking some oldschool adventure game stuff!

Seconding this.