AuthorTopic: Stairs  (Read 2322 times)

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Stairs

on: May 02, 2009, 03:53:14 am
I thought I'd try out some iso work to improve my skills.  I feel a bit silly posting something so simple and basic, but I've got to walk before I can run.  I'm posting to get some feedback on some of the simple things.

The version on the left was done earlier than the one on the right.

Difference 1: The version on the left has a lot of AA.  That was very slow to create, which led me to revisit some tutorials and create the version on the right, which has none.

Are there any rules of thumb for when to use AA and when not to?

Difference 2: The colors on the left have a greater contrast than the colors on the right.

If this image was going to be background, with other things stacked on top (furniture or characters) should the colors be bland and blended, or should they have contrast?

Difference 3: Brickwork highlights on the right.  I think this looks better on the right, but as I extend the lower wall I feel I need to add some noise or something to remove the perfect repetition.  Any guidelines or tutorials on this?  Or do you just sprinkle noise until it looks ok?

I'd also appreciate any comments about the stairs.  The ones on the right are shallower because the height difference is less.  Still there seems to be something a bit off with them.  I'm not sure what it is.  Should the steps be taller?

Tourist

Offline Joel

• View Profile

Re: Stairs

Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 05:05:20 am
In regards to AA, it's usually just case by case basis. If you over-AA, often the piece becomes blurred looking, even pillow shaded in some cases. Or just not as clean and readable as it should be. That's why the right version 'pops' out more. The solid black outlines contrast with the shades and then the highlights on the edges. However, the solid black doesn't always look good either; try to work with a mix between the two for really nice isometric work. Use black where you really need it, if not, use a darker shade of the object's colour. You will just have to learn to judge which is better looking.

That aside, if you plan to add characters and objects that you want to stand out, then it's not such a bad thing that the building looks a little dull or blurred, then characters with dark outlines and bright colours will stand out really nicely.

In my opinion, noise doesn't add anything to pixel art. And at it's size, those bricks don't need to be individually personalised. But it's really up to you.

The size of the steps should be defined after you know how large the characters will be. Otherwise, there is no comparison. You can't see whether your steps are too tall or short until you see a character next to it, or an object.

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Re: Stairs

Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 09:25:20 pm
Thanks for the feedback.  I'll skip adding noise or AA to the piece for now. 

I understand your point about the black, but I've already got a very dark shade of blue in there.  I think I'm going to have to juggle the colors a bit.

I'll add to this thread when I've got an update.

Tourist

Edit: poor word choice