AuthorTopic: Is this good animation?  (Read 4120 times)

Offline mmueller

• View Profile

Is this good animation?

on: April 22, 2009, 05:56:19 pm
My name is Michael Mueller. I am creating an animated series called Dungeon Force that I want to get on TV. I you could help me with any comments and critiques I would be very appreciative. Also if you like it, pass it on. The more exposure I can get for this thing the better chance I have of getting notice from a network. Thanks a lot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doZ0VjnjHQE

Offline Squiggly_P

• View Profile

Re: Is this good animation?

Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 04:01:04 am
This would probably be better off in the Off Topic section...

I liked these.  The voice acting is a little rough, but the idea is solid, and the shorts themselves are funny.  I think a little more confidence in the voices will help to nail the comedy.

When you say "for TV", are you talking about full length, half-hour episodes, or a collection of shorter bits like these, or as just bumpers between other shows, or what?  I think the shorts are funny enough to carry a website and get some decent hits and maybe some secondary revenue through merchandise, but if you're wanting to shoot for a full-length half-hour sow, you will probably want to make at least one episode, or something longer format than these clips.  The idea is funny, but I dunno if it can carry that long a format.

The animation itself is obviously really minimal, but it works for these shorts.  Again, i don't think it could carry a half hour in that department, either.

I'd suggest just setting up a website or blog for these, put them out on some kind of regular basis, like every couple of weeks or so.  Get the word out on gaming forums, myspace, facebook and whatever else you can think of, and see where it takes you.  But if you want to persue TV as a format, then you should test that format the way you'd envision it being...

I love the intro music, btw.

Edit:  Forgot to mention that these feel very much in the Seth MacFarlane character style.  Personally, I'd ditch that and go for something else to avoid issues later on.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 04:07:59 am by Squiggly_P »

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 04:32:23 am
Wasn't the thread on Polycount enough...? You got plenty of comments there. Don't tell me you're just roaming the entire Internet for publicity or something.

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 07:41:56 pm
Wasn't the thread on Polycount enough...? You got plenty of comments there. Don't tell me you're just roaming the entire Internet for publicity or something.
It got on PJ aswell. So I suppose its that last thing, as mmueller seems to register just for placing that one single post.

Offline mmueller

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 01:41:58 am
Sorry. I thought my cartoon was relevant to this forum, and I didn't know the people who come here also go to polycount. I assure you, I am not roaming the entire internet.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 03:03:06 am
I watched Part 1, 2, and 3. Part 1 is the best. 2 and 3 drag on for too longer than 1 and have weaker punch line. One is so short and sweet and anticlimactic, it's hilarious. Though, 3 has that really funny '4 greatest demons of the west winds' bit as the primer clip, that was good. I love the parody effect you have going.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 03:18:48 am
I watched them as well. I liked parts one two and five. some parts last longer than they should

the wizard part was funny at times but really... too long

the dialog is by far the storngest point c:

the animation is minimal, but it really works well. You wouldn't know until halfway through part one, though. I think if you cut out the parts that drag on a bit without being a parody (fist fighter vs skeletons was ok in this manner) you'd have a better chance.

Can't wait for six :]