AuthorTopic: my first pixel  (Read 2671 times)

Offline nov

• View Profile

my first pixel

on: May 01, 2009, 04:14:56 pm
hi....nice to meet u all ;D
i'm still new in this forum,and this my first post about my first pixel art sprite,enjoy...and give the c and c please ;D

Offline hsn2555

• Hakuna Matata
    • View Profile
    • HsnGoneWild Gallery

Re: my first pixel

Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 05:37:21 pm
seriously ,is this your first pixelart sprite ?
 nice animation on the walk cycle ..
but in the idle one, you should animate the legs too (crough)
and i think it needs a better shading.

and about the dbz piece, it looks good . but i think you should redraw the background, and the bullet's glowing .cuz the way you used to draw them isn't related to pixelart.
Be Like no other

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 09:24:52 pm
Nice work. Welcome to pixel arting. On Goku, or whichever of the DBZ dudes that is - Why so big? Almost all pixel novices start out making big images. The same size you might create it at if non-pixel art (NPA). This is because it takes a few pixel projects to realize that pixel art is deceivingly much more intensive than a lot of NPA stuff, especially if you're detail oriented. Imagine I'm your client, and I want Gohan in a different pose now. You'd have to redraw the whole thing, minus maybe the head. If animation was required, you'd have a nightmare on your hands. It's rarely logical to create a pixel art peice at this scale, especially just a single "sprite". Only scenes are typically created at this scale. Just a bit of advice to help make it easy on you as you begin to learn, but feel free to make 300 DPI pixel art prints if you feel moved to. Lastly, it's not expiditious for increasing skills to spend so much time on one peice. You learn from taking on more and different projects. And you should stress learning right now.

On your NPA usage - it's generally not acceptable to use NPA effects/elements in the midst of an otherwise pixel art image. This includes your shadow, background and the fireball's glow, which looks like the default glow any layering graphics program is capable of; not exciting.

Gokuhohu's legs seem a bit mismatched, though it could be the baggy pants making it appear this way. Regardless, it's looks wonky. The omni lighting is drab and rather inconsistent. Would be so much cooler if the fireball was the primary lightsource and there was a secondary light shinging from the right to illuminate his face. The lighting effects in DBZ animations can get pretty intense when there's a huge fireball being cast.

Just a couple quick things on the "MRAP" character - he's great for a first-timer! Way to go. Pretty effective little illustration. Bottom-most edge of the logo is oddly flickering. Idle animation is only cheap "bobbing", yet it's not that bad. Real movement is always better, though. You'll want some AA (anti-aliasing) skills for that.

If you're truly dedicated, go to the Pixelation knowledge megadump, pilfer through it, find the good stuff, and start buildin' some real skills using all the pro advice available.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 09:28:53 pm by Mathias »

Offline Squiggly_P

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 10:06:20 pm
The BDZ piece:
1)  I agree with hsn2555 about the glow effect.  It's not pixeled.  The background gradient is also not pixeled.  Having that many colors sort of defeats the purpose of pixel art.
2)  It's really big.  You could probably cut the resolution in half and get the same level of detail into it, and I think that would be a good idea.
3)  The lighting is all over the place.  You've got light coming from four or five different directions.  Top fo his head is lit and a shadow is directly below him on the ground, so I'm assuming a light directly above him.  His face is lit in such a way that makes it look like he's facing a second light source.  The fireball itself is a third source, but the hand above the ball indicates that another light is off to that side as well, his other arm has light coming from below him and some of the shadows seem to indicate that there's a light source at some position that's slightly above the point we are viewing this from.  So basically, you need to define your forms more.  Start with just the flat colors and add one shadow color and get those forms blocked out and solid-looking with only a couple of light sources.  The ball could be one.  Another one from above somewhere would work.

The ball might be a good way to get some warm / cool lighting in there as well...  have the ball throw warm light and the other light source throw something a little cooler at him...  Or maybe the opposite of that....

The Sprites:
I'm just gonna crit a couple things on it.  It's an improvement over the larger piece.  There are still some lighting issues, tho, mostly from the way you animated it.  The arm moves forwards and backwards on the running animation, and the shading stays the same the whole time.  The legs have the same problem.  In one frame the lighting is coming from above, and a few frames later it's coming from below.

The motion is great, tho.  The legs especially move very well.  Very fluid.  The head and arm both feel a bit detached from the body.

Some of the pixels on the top of his head change color on a frame or two of the run cycle.

Overall, tho, if this really is your first pixel stuff, then you did pretty damn well, especially on the sprites.  You'll have mad skills in no time if you keep it up :P

Offline nov

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 12:33:19 am
@all: hi...nice to meet u :)
wow ... thanks for all the comments.yup... this is my first work with the pixel art, many still have me to try and try again :P.for the background and effects of the ball in the DBZ should be i make from pixel art to.... hahaha
apologize if there is a shortfall in the use of the English language
once again many thanks for all the comments :)