AuthorTopic: [WIP] Portrait  (Read 7144 times)

Offline japez

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Portrait

Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 11:09:44 am

Nearly Finished! :D

Haha, I just need to do the background. :)
Should i put any design/shading on the shirt or is it fine how it is?

Edit: I have no clue what to do with the background.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 12:22:42 pm by japez »

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 01:22:16 pm
Perhaps some anim would a nice ? lips are maybe a bit too big :-\ and the hairs are much beter than they used to be  :) maybe you could shade the hairs that they would look "more" realistic and sorry for that vampire edit forget it :lol:

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 04:48:06 am
Ear seem too big, globby, it's over AA'ed as well. Those lips would make Angelina jealous, and no I'm referring to yer snapshot, calm down. The eyes with pupils are too defined, Accident had it done better, but also made you look too much like Chino Moreno. Shoulders seem off-kilter. Forgive my absence of an edit. Honestly I don't feel compelled enough by this to create one, but I at least had some crittely crittely crit for ya. Like your out-on-a-limb palette. You should continue to play with it, it's not perfect.

. . . uh oh, with my Vista Windows cursor reverted back to the classic theme hovering over the "Post" button it suddenly hit me why this portrait is not working. You have a conflict of style's here, and peace negotions are resulting in even the opposing sides' diplomats getting into a fist fight after only moments of negotiations - You're doing the vexel style (like Panda) yet your excessively dithering. Vexel style is simply pixel art mimicing simplistic vector art, having very defined egdes, very crispy AA, no gradation, etc. What I'm saying is, I think that if you removed all dithering and only used "solid shapes" to define your volumes you may have yourself a humdinger here. End the conflict. Just do a quick dirty test, should take 1 minute to do, just to see if it "feels" right. Oh, and this portrait probably needs sunglasses and a poka-dotted bow ribbon in the hair, essential accessories you know.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 07:46:36 am by Mathias »

Offline japez

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 11:42:59 am
Ear seem too big, globby, it's over AA'ed as well. Those lips would make Angelina jealous, and no I'm referring to yer snapshot, calm down. The eyes with pupils are too defined, Accident had it done better, but also made you look too much like Chino Moreno. Shoulders seem off-kilter. Forgive my absence of an edit. Honestly I don't feel compelled enough by this to create one, but I at least had some crittely crittely crit for ya. Like your out-on-a-limb palette. You should continue to play with it, it's not perfect.

. . . uh oh, with my Vista Windows cursor reverted back to the classic theme hovering over the "Post" button it suddenly hit me why this portrait is not working. You have a conflict of style's here, and peace negotions are resulting in even the opposing sides' diplomats getting into a fist fight after only moments of negotiations - You're doing the vexel style (like Panda) yet your excessively dithering. Vexel style is simply pixel art mimicing simplistic vector art, having very defined egdes, very crispy AA, no gradation, etc. What I'm saying is, I think that if you removed all dithering and only used "solid shapes" to define your volumes you may have yourself a humdinger here. End the conflict. Just do a quick dirty test, should take 1 minute to do, just to see if it "feels" right. Oh, and this portrait probably needs sunglasses and a poka-dotted bow ribbon in the hair, essential accessories you know.

My ear is tapered, i'm aware my ear is big and "globby". I've toned down the lips as you can see on the update below. Sorry to say also that Accident's eyes did not look like my eyes IRL, be aware that this is a self portrait and i know what i look like and that is not the only reference i use. (i could just go to the mirror lol)

Did i seriously make myself look like this wreck? I think not. I'm not middle aged, fat, have a goatee and have a egg shaped head.The angles on my shoulders seem so "off-kilter" because my shoulders are cut off from the portrait, probably gives the illusion of that.

And referring to using two separate styles that clash? I don't really care what kind of styles i use, i try to make it as good looking as i can. I seriously haven't heard of these styles you mentioned, this is basically my first shot at real pixelart, i'm kinda a novice. lol. Can't i be original or something and create my own style? Not sure what you meant by the accessories and whatnot but i guess its some kinda joke i don't get or don't find funny. :S

« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 11:53:23 am by japez »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Sly shades & a poka-dotted ribbon, don't forget

Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 08:43:20 pm
Haha, yes yes, you're free to do whatever you wanna. I just gave you my point of view . . . oh hah Chino what happened to you my friend, that "diet" of yours sure was effective wasn't it. I'll always remember you in your Around The Fur glory, don't listen to him,

Why am I addressing Chino Moreno?

As for the styles. Yes, absolutely innovate, find yer own way. Styles come about and become widespread for a reason. Think about that. Though, I never advocate just picking a mainstream style and striving to emulate it like a zombie, c'mon now. Brave of you to challenge yourself with a portrait and a platformer simultaneously, being new to pixelin'. Pixel art isn't mixed media, though. You'll figure it out. Have fun with it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 08:45:55 pm by Mathias »

Offline Accident

• Someone call the ambulance!
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 12:13:10 pm
Chiiiiiiiino. He's no wreck, even if he's overweight and angry. <3

Japez doesn't have the same mouth as Chino. In fact, I don't believe he looks like Chino at all. xD Maybe the eyes... Lols, I /did/ make his eyes look like Chino's. Sorry. xD I'll fix that. Cheeks? I 'unno.

While I definitely agree with style, I believe Japez here is developing a style of his own already-- what with semi-unsaturated, underused colours and minimal shading about the darker parts.

Just sayin'. 8D But yes. Again, as I was saying, your mouth tapers at the corners, but they really are plump. So I think you should focus at the corners and play around with that instead. <3