AuthorTopic: New ref  (Read 22777 times)

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Re: New ref

Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 03:12:30 am

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 03:22:44 am
Maybe it's just me... but I think once you move the silhouette of the figure it looks silly and exaggerated. Try not moving the shape of the guy, might help the jerky movements.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 03:39:31 am
  ehh, I don't know...

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 04:21:09 am
Well, technically, there wouldn't be any noticable diaphram expansion/contraction if a person at that scale was calmy standing and breathing normally, right? So, this is a question of how much exaggeration you want so that the breathing is noticable. Something totally subjective. For instance, I prefer the 1 pixel movement, whereas Jonathon wags his nose at it. neener neener

Then I have to ask, what the crap are you so bent on making him breath for? I know it's a common sprite idle animation concept, but beyond that . . . I assume you just a want a way to make the sprite feel less static. Well, your forcing the act of breathing to fill this void, yet it's requiring you to exaggerate it. Can this even work? I like to think any idea can work with enough effort, but what if you thought more outside-the-box and totally changed his idle movement to something like brushing the hair out of his face every now and then, or just turning his head to look left, or switching his standing position, or, or, or . . .

Latest animation looks like he's clenching his stomache, and not really "breathing". Why is there leg movement at all? I typically don't use my legs to breath, hehe. This is a nice effort so far tunafish, keep it up. Knowing your perseverance, I you'll follow through until this thing looks really good.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 04:29:58 am
The leg movement was because I wanted some subtle lighting changes on them as he breathed but I had to add some slight movement to keep it from looking weird. I guess that just further proves your point  :B

So I see your meaning, I was planning on having him crack his neck as a static pose, but I like the hair brush idea too. Well, s'not the first time somebody's had multiple static poses. Anyway, I'll try a couple more times and if I can't get it then I'll let the idea go. Anyway, got the walk cycle done.

Turned out better than I expected in some ways, but worse in others.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 12:51:08 pm

*holds breath*
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 01:17:03 pm by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline infinity+1

• the real deal
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 02:13:18 pm
he looks noticeably shorter in the walk.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 05:14:24 pm
If you haven't suffocated yet, I agree with infinity. It was the first thing I thought when I saw. He's not just shorter, he's proportionally smaller, period. You mipmapped him by accident didn't you? I hate it when that happens. Bloody untidy.

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 05:26:25 pm
Do you have an emotion you want the walk to convey? At the moment it reads quite moody - which isn't bad but what do you want it to read?

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 05:49:13 pm
His closest foot doesn't go far enough.
And he also lands flat on it rather then heel first.
Just a question, are you re-drawing each frame? Or just copying every thing over to a new frame and rotating and moving limbs?