AuthorTopic: New ref  (Read 22721 times)

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

New ref

on: April 28, 2009, 02:02:30 pm
my old one was too squenix so I redid it.
old-
new-12
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 02:07:46 pm by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline hsn2555

• Hakuna Matata
    • View Profile
    • HsnGoneWild Gallery

Re: New ref

Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 02:33:16 pm
the old one's big character's jeans fit more .. see i've done :
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 02:35:55 pm by hsn2555 »
Be Like no other

Offline 0renji

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 06:49:03 pm
There are aspects of the old image that I prefer - the larger head looks better even though it's technically out of proportion and the character overall seems more distinctive, but the new one is well done too and the smaller sprite reads better.

A major problem with the new one is the front arm; the top half is way longer than the second half. The leg on the right also seems a bit off - it looks like the torso is facing more to the right than the legs are. As they are it looks alright though, it could do with a darker tone (or a bit of black) near the bottom of the legs perhaps. The rest looks good :)

I made two rather rubbish edits focusing on the arm and the leg, not at a pixel level but maybe it will help anyway... the second one probably looks better (original is on the far right, I had to take the edit because I couldn't be bothered to faff about with Photoshop to make the transparency not appear black, sorry >__>; ).

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 08:34:21 pm

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 02:33:17 pm
This is good, but I like the former version better, a stronger sense of character, more unique. New one's right leg seems to jut too far away from body; feet are too far apart to look casually stanced. Right arm's elbow needs to be better centered in arm's length; upper and forearm now outa proportion. Needs more cowbell.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 12:30:24 am
I agree the older one was more original, but the new one is more like me (marginally) and the old one was pretty weird. Nobody wears shoulderpads, furry hoodies, striped shirts, or metal gauntlets and few people wear bandannas anymore. Plus the new one is a LOT simpler and IMO more memorable. Anyway,
(better than my last attempt at subpixeling :durr:)

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 02:03:00 am

Trying to be a lot less lazy with this version (with the last one p. much all the poses were edits of the base pose in some form or another)
Also, in case anyone cares, here's the progress of this guy throughout the years. (the first few are edits of Vent from MMZX)

Offline BlackTerror

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 02:12:18 am
With the breathing animation: the subpixeling movement you have there is way too extreme. If you look at Metal Gear Solid sprites, they move only a few pixels at the edge of each region of colors, and definitely not several pixels in distance over the course of an animation unless they were trying to convey a lot of movement. That's not what you want in breathing; it's a subtle movement. The animation there looks more like the light source has shifted dramatically from his side to more above him.

But more importantly, that animation doesn't look like breathing, it's more like just standing taller for some reason. If you're going to the trouble of animating a character, ideally you'd want to use it to convey personality.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 02:22:01 am
Metal Gear Solid sprites
whuuuuut?!

But yeah, I'll work on it
Edit:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 02:55:27 am by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline hotnikkelz

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 03:02:48 am
the lil graphic on his chest...don't alter it's size. Just move it up a few pixels in the inhale, and push it down some pixels on the exhale