AuthorTopic: a post-apocalyptic totem  (Read 4232 times)

Offline xbogx

• View Profile

a post-apocalyptic totem

on: April 27, 2009, 08:57:15 pm

Did this a while ago and would like to call it done. I'm mostly looking for tips on what to do about the ground and also improvements on dithering and aa

Offline god_is_evil

• View Profile

Re: a post-apocalyptic totem

Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 11:00:52 pm
Here i can help you smooth the totem.

notice that i made the stair step effect unnoticeable.
just take a look at the aa and dither edit i did to eliminate the
two cuts in the side of the totem.

Offline xbogx

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 10:03:55 pm
Hi god_is_evil, thanks for the edit. I didn't even realise that side of the totem was weird until i saw your edit. I tried to fix it and hopefuly it works now though i didn't do as much as you did because i thought iit kinda ended up looking like it was a straight line which i was trying to avoid

I'd still like some opinions on the ground. I'd like to keep it simple, but not have it look like crap

Offline xbogx

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 09:32:38 pm
what now?

Offline Hugo

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 11:05:30 am
add more details, there is too much solid fills. everything looks like too clean. ground is too perfect... add more reliefs, and maybe some cracks might help to symbolize the Earth's pain.  :)

and maybe a vanishing point more raised down would make totem more impressive, it would fit well with the dramatic feel of the scene.

keep going !

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 06:11:57 pm
I actually think the background is fine without two much texture, minus the clouds, which I think could use more details. The colors are great, but I'm not sure if the red part of the sky blends in with the green very well.

Offline BlackTerror

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 02:32:10 am
I think you're being too conservative with the anti-aliasing. If it's a long line of pixels being anti-aliased into another long line of pixels, there's going to be a decent length of anti-aliasing pixels of each transition shade. This is most obvious on the clouds and sun, where you just have single pixels of anti-aliasing at the end of long lines.

Speaking of the sun, for something so large and bright in the image, it sure isn't illuminating anything except the sky and pole. That doesn't look right. I'd either cloud over most of it so that the sunlight-breaking-through-clouds-onto-pole was much more obviouis, or illuminate all of the grass not shadowed by the mountains.