AuthorTopic: RPG character south face (WIPs)  (Read 4046 times)

Offline rydath

• View Profile

RPG character south face (WIPs)

on: April 21, 2009, 07:43:34 am
Hello. It's been a long time since I've done anything but lurked here, but I have a sprite I'm working on and I would appreciate any critical advice before going into the walkcycle.
<Old Newer>Now with zombie!
He's a necromancer, and that's supposed to be a book in his hand. Zombie, small child, and monsters soon to come.

Edit: Sorry about jpg... Tried uploading bitmap to photobucket without thinking. png better?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 07:16:24 am by rydath »

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Re: RPG character south face

Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 12:15:59 pm
Jpg ???

From what I can see it looks great. Nothing strikes me as off. But seriously, at least save as a gif.

And saving on a white background might be a poor idea, the contrast makes it hard to judge the colors sometimes. Maybe pick a color more neutral.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 12:19:11 pm by EvilEye »

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 02:04:54 am
His legs are really really tiny in comparison to the rest of his body, you seem to have a mix of perspectives. The head/face is 45* downish. The torso is faceing towards us, and the legs which are also faceing towards us are so much smaller then everything else it looks almost comical. I'd dismiss it as style but i can see the shortening of the legs could turn into an issue when you try to animate.

The hair and face is wonderful though. I really enjoy that.

As for it being a necromancer, he currently doesn't give off that feel at all. Excentric academic is more what his outfit currently says to me. There is nothing sinister or what i associate with a necro about him?  :-\

Offline rydath

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 10:35:42 pm
Thanks for tips. I'll work on his pallet some so he looks more dark, but not too much since he's the good guy and not so goth and moody as most who dabble with the dead. I'm definitely having trouble fixing the perspective on him, though. Any advice would be appreciated. In the interim, I'll put up my very wip zombie whose having familiar perspective issues.

He's supposed to be wearing a sort of rusted bronze plate armor. I remember having seen green rusted bronze before and wanted to replicate it, but I'm not sure if it's coming along alright. He's also supposed to be dragging his sword, but that's not going very well either.

Offline EvilEye

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 01:03:31 am
What exactly is the perspective supposed to be?

It looks to me like slightly-overhead ( very slightly ). But maybe if we saw the background it would help clarify.

Offline rydath

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 06:29:48 am
Haven't started any backgrounds yet, but ideally I want the perspective to look maybe a little under 45 degrees. Also still haven't altered the pallet, but tell me if I'm going the right direction with this.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 06:31:58 am by rydath »

Offline EvilEye

• View Profile

Re: RPG character south face (WIPs)

Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 12:04:02 am
I thought the original was fine. Lots of strangeness going on with his mid-section now. Don't like what you did with the shoes.

The collar may be an improvement.