AuthorTopic: Partisan - take two  (Read 15601 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Warm-up

Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 11:28:58 am
yeah something like that might be correct perspective, and it's what I had started with...it just looks like shit. 

There's a reason the head got set further back originally, I don't just think people's spines are broken that way :P.  I think I may have overcompensated to start though so I'm happy with it adjusted forward one pixel as above.  There's a tradition of "leaning a little back, looking a little high" sprites anyway so I don't think it's jarring.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 05:34:20 pm
I think the farther back head also helps give the impression of a neck, NDchristie. Evileye's edit looks like he's got a posture problem. My only crit would be the arms which seem either a bit too short, or you need to shrink the hands. They're a bit stumpy at the moment.

I really enjoy the design. Puffy shirt medieval? I'll have to give a it a try.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 06:11:23 pm
In general I like the characters, of course im for more of the badassery type so you'd have to give them a 64 pixel long sword for me to really like them.
Just wanted to say that the grass is stunning, are they just plain tiles? if so, what size and can you show a tileset?

Offline Accident

• Someone call the ambulance!
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 07:00:06 pm
Normally, I'd go off crazy, but I understand that you'ven't pixelled in a while. So. c:

WHERE IS THE FLAIR??!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!11

Lols, sorry. xD Personal taste went above all else. I think I also removed a colour, and unified things a little more.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 01:23:49 am
Good going, ndcristie.   :D

One thing I noticed, just thought I'd share it:
A majority of the character seems overly-soft.  The red parts look like marshmallows.  I would say over-complicated, over-Anti-Alaised, and I think you lost some of your shading in complexity.
Now this may be largely due to the fact that you use more advanced techniques than I, but I thought it was worth sharing.  Example (edited from the edit by Accident):

Just a thought.  Keep it up!
Shrike

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 02:00:44 am
Good going, ndcristie.   :D

One thing I noticed, just thought I'd share it:
A majority of the character seems overly-soft.  The red parts look like marshmallows.  I would say over-complicated, over-Anti-Alaised, and I think you lost some of your shading in complexity.
Now this may be largely due to the fact that you use more advanced techniques than I, but I thought it was worth sharing.  Example (edited from the edit by Accident):

Just a thought.  Keep it up!
Shrike

Shrike - I might follow what you're saying in the text, but i'm getting confused when the image comes in - isn't your edit far more complicated than the original design?
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: April 26, 2009, 02:24:07 am
Heh.  Well, maybe so.  I tend to get carried away.  The edit didn't really apply to the text crits...  I was just tweaking some shading.  All I really care about is the text crits, the edit was just an impulse done while simultaneously doing homework.

I'm definitely not a knight in shining armor when it comes to pixelart, though I like to think I have a good eye.  As long as you're with me on the text.  Do you think the critique from the text applies?

Shrike

Offline JWW

• One unbroken chain
    • View Profile
    • IamJakeWW

Reply #17 on: April 26, 2009, 04:56:24 am
i really don't have anything constructive to say; the sprite looks solid to me, but I'd really be interested in reading a tutorial on tiles by you!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 12:48:02 pm
I'm happy with how you've reigned in your color selection here, makes for much more readable sprites.

About who these guys are: they're well paid but faceless soldier pawns for me. I don't know if that's what you're going for. No overlying emotion.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 02:35:00 pm
Seconding helm here.

It seems to me they're working for a more or less clean and tidy faction, what with the ruffles and all. So either they feel like good guys generally, or very decadent bad guys, hah : D
' _ '