AuthorTopic: Partisan - take two  (Read 15607 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Partisan - take two

on: April 23, 2009, 08:39:14 pm
Been out of practice, wanted to do a little bit of a warm-up exercise before really launching into things again :

- just a warmup

- new Partisan tiles!  We're starting almost completely over, smarter, faster, better than before!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 01:08:20 am by ndchristie »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Re: Warm-up

Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 01:08:59 am
Not sure why, but they look disconnected from the ground. The grass feels like a wall they all have one foot against. The other foot seems to be floating almost.
They're in a dimetric perspective and the grass is being seen from directly above. Some overlapping might help the cause.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 02:05:44 am
Probably the lack of a character shadow that usually goes along with sprites.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 02:16:10 am
yeah, I didn't think as far as getting the characters to stand on the ground, it was more like making a character and then making tiles and finding an excuse to put them both here/

if this was a real project i would lean towards overlapping, since shadows start to look really awkward once you get above a certain size, especially at this angle.  Some sort of soft shadow could work...but that's NPA anyway...

quick and dirty method - applying alpha to the sprite itself.  would work if there was generally one or two heights of tall grass, but not if i wanted to tailor things...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 02:23:59 am by ndchristie »
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 03:43:45 pm
Those are some really excellent grass tiles! Sorry I don't have anything better to add.

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 05:25:58 pm
I'm with Dopple. I'd love your understanding of leaf blades there.
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 08:45:40 pm
Heya, these sprites kick butt! Well drawn, but my favorite thing is the perspective you chose, and it looks like you nailed it. I'm not worried about the grounding issue. A quick shadow always solves that. You just hadn't done it yet. Though, a combo of drawing order organized leaves drawn in front of the human sprites as they walk around and a shadow would be great. IF you're using alpha that is. 50/50 dither and solid shadows usually aren't so hot. Something else contributing to the problem may be difference the grass and human sprite colors. Grass is a bit on the bright/neon side in comparison.

Is there a future planned for this, or is it just random stuff?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 03:47:24 am by Mathias »

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 11:59:53 pm
The heads are placed too far back on the characters, especially the guys with the helmets. And for that matter the helmets don't appear to be at the same angle as the rest of the body.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 01:37:43 am
The heads are placed too far back on the characters, especially the guys with the helmets. And for that matter the helmets don't appear to be at the same angle as the rest of the body.

addressed the head position i think, but does the head really seem out-of-perspective?  maybe I don't see it...

Also. what do people think of the character design?  As in, who are these people? Do we like them?  Does the character in general appeal to us?  What about the colors/palette?  It's a doodle yes, but I don't know, it COULD go somewhere...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 02:17:24 am by ndchristie »
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 06:11:35 am
addressed the head position i think, but does the head really seem out-of-perspective?  maybe I don't see it...

Yes it does.

At least do something like this:

As for the helmet, its passable if you adjust the head.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 06:15:09 am by EvilEye »