AuthorTopic: Partisan - take two  (Read 15816 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Partisan - take two

Reply #30 on: May 24, 2009, 05:00:26 pm
Any reason that particular platform on the right doesn't have an outline?

the jaggedness is because it's a WIP (still figuring the overlap, which was dependant on tile-height (Fil and I have finally agreed on 6px per height measure, other options were 4, 8, and 12...actually it's kinda like 12 here since sixes can easily make twelves...)

the lack of a hard outline is because it's actually a ground-tile.  We'll (eventually) have a hard-lined tile for rocks hanging into space, and similarly a soft-lined rock pile (only a hard-lined one seen here) for when rocks lead into each other.  I'll be drawing those separately so they'll take a little bit of time...
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: June 02, 2009, 04:09:39 pm
This might be a premature update, but I started fiddling with the building pieces...:

A mistake is a mistake.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #32 on: June 02, 2009, 05:09:39 pm
This looks really nice but imo has one big flaw atm. Height differences are not visible on a glance. This will probably be better once you have sprites on there, but it might be an issue gameplay wise.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: June 02, 2009, 08:34:39 pm
Good point - working on it!

heavily WIP edges for raised tiles....again probably too early, but it shows where we're going :).
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #34 on: June 02, 2009, 09:21:51 pm
Final Fantasy Tactics advance did it like that, which worked really well. They used pure black edges.

I love the new edges in terms of readability. It does improve the immediate visibility of height changes and looks aesthetically pleasing enough. On the other hand, the original looked very organic and natural, heightening immersion.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: June 02, 2009, 11:02:24 pm
On the other hand, the original looked very organic and natural, heightening immersion.

I wonder if this is because of the design; in the second example i just threw several quick stacks together without rhyme or reason (just haste).

Here i've recreated the old swatch for the sake of an easy comparison:

still losing an organic quality, or not as much?
200% for two reasons - one is that i ended up with a blurry firefox and the other is that I'm going to argue for that (or higher) being the in-game res.

Here we also see the biggest frustration of isometric - like over like will always cause some confusion with height/placement of tiles.  We'll make every effort to see that tiles are generally floating over things of a different color/material to lessen this.
Even the best have trouble with this.  Here's an early level from FFTA:

the first time i played this level i thought that closest orange tree was actually a bush on the square diagonally up from it - i didn't see the trunk at all until i'd completely goofed my deployment.  luckily FFTA is an easy game!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 11:13:11 pm by ndchristie »
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #36 on: June 03, 2009, 07:31:52 am
The original still looks a little more organic, even with non-random placement, but I think it's worth it, because of the clearer difference. Looking good either way.