AuthorTopic: Here's a playable platformer you can "skin" :)  (Read 3821 times)

Offline Holymonkey

• View Profile
    • Holymonkeystudio

Here's a playable platformer you can "skin" :)

on: April 18, 2009, 07:43:00 pm
Hi everyone,

You might remember my previous post about the side scrolling shooter demo that you can "skin".

Well, if you go to this link http://holymonkeystudio.com/?page_id=12 you will see that there's now a fully functional, fully playable, 3 level plus one boss side scrolling platformer that you can skin.  Its loaded with player animations, multiple enemy types, weapons, power-ups, layered scrolling environments and so on.  This would be an incredible portfolio piece for a pixel artist who wants to prove they can do a "whole game".  This would also be a great challenge for an aspiring pixel artist to see if they could tough out a full project and stick to deadlines.

I hope some poeple find this useful, or at least entertaining. :)

Offline Reo

• aka MechaBarbarian
    • MechaBarbarian
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11318.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Here's a playable platformer you can "skin" :)

Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 11:22:35 pm
Awesome :D this is much more fiting for me, I'm gonna check it out tomorrow!

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 07:15:25 am
Hi Holymonkey, great to see you posting on these boards! Just had a quick play of your demo and couldn`t get past the titlescreen. It says press "Z" to start but it doesn`t register. Am I missing something?

Anyway, just wanted to say that it is really good of you making these skinable games, I`m sure lots of people here will have lots of fun with them.

Jason.

Offline Holymonkey

• View Profile
    • Holymonkeystudio

Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 07:19:33 am
Thanks QuickSilva,

Do you have a gamepad plugged into your computer?  If so, its waiting for you to press one of the fire buttons instead.  perhaps it would be a good idea to reword the "press Z" png to be less confusing, or at least more informative. ;)

Offline QuickSilva

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 09:43:56 am
Right you are, works fine with my Joypad but remember, lots of people do not have them on PCs.

Great looking engine though, should be a fun challenge for the pixel artists here who cannot program themselves.

Jason.

Offline Holymonkey

• View Profile
    • Holymonkeystudio

Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 10:07:41 am
Thanks again for the kind words.  To me, however, its not about whether or not someone "can" program.  Its a matter of time and priorities.  I've got a (more than full time) day job, a wife and 2 childern (under 3 years old).  If someone's goal is to improve their portfolio (and art skills) by skinning a platformer game, the fact that someone already made it cuts the time they need to spend in half or more.  This is especially true if the artist is trying to prove their art ability, and not their programming ability. ;)

PS.  As further incentive, If any one or group of people finish skinning the game, I'll happily provide them with the MMF2 file so they can turn the 3 level game into a much bigger and fuller game if they so choose. (providing they have MMF2 or know someone who does)

for those who dont know what MMF2 is :

http://www.clickteam.com

Offline dead_pool

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 02:13:27 pm
Great, I am MMF2 user. It's a great program. I can follow it very easily. Thanks for this!
"I can see the whole of time and space, every single atom of your existence and I divide them"

email me at (tim.blake.navy@gmail.com)