AuthorTopic: Sky Viking!  (Read 7437 times)

Offline iansnyder

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Sky Viking!

on: April 18, 2009, 05:55:46 pm

^ Initial concept ^

I saw Souly's SkyMyst game and it motivated me to show my own side-scrolling game that I've messed with a bit :)

Sky Viking is a game I started on using the XNA framework in C#. It's based around the idea of exploring different planets with an exaggerated scale. I currently have basic gravity implemented with the ability to carve away at the planet and move around on it's surface, with the player being pulled towards the center of the planet. The planet is basically just painted, so it's not really pixel art, but the little dudes are all done pixel by pixel :P

^ That's the currently working version of the game. ^

SETTING

There are evil aliens attacking uncultivated planets to harvest the local flora and fauna for commercial good. The player is the survivor of such a planet and is trying to thwart the invader's efforts on other planets.

... there's more stuff in my head, I may write it out more later :P

Main Character

Blorpy space critter

Mean aliens!

I'm not really sure if I'm going to work on this any more, but any thoughts on the art style are appreciated :)

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Re: Sky Viking!

Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 02:08:12 am
The main character doesn't read very well. Mind putting down a drawing of him? More frames would help the animation

You might want to look at the game Worms: Armageddon, after an area is destroyed there's some trace of it. Having a background remain after the area is destroyed would give it a little bit of depth.

Offline iansnyder

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Sky Viking!

Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 09:11:15 pm

There's just the basic sketch I had :) Yeah, should definitely do more frames, this is basically my first pixel art :P

I was planning on having the background remain after the area was destroyed, didn't get that far with it, though ;)