AuthorTopic: Slimeworld! (formerly: Grass/Field Tile)  (Read 34895 times)

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Re: Slimeworld! (formerly: Grass/Field Tile)

Reply #30 on: April 26, 2009, 07:42:59 am
I would stand to ditch the large shadow being cast by the grass.  It's making the dirt look curved like a mound.  A thick, dark edge like the screenshot seems to already do a fine job conveying that the grass is taller/thicker than the dirt.

Offline Bhalzak

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 05:58:25 am
I've tried to made better bush

But the result dosn't like a much =/
how improve this version?

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: April 30, 2009, 05:05:32 am
Make a case? Hehe well I could, but it wouldn't really help anything. By asserting the similarity with Zelda, I'm highlighting that itseems likes a nice bar for this style of tileset, that's really all.

Kren says make the tree less plastic, meaning that it's not realistic enough and is too cute/bulbous. Well, I say make everything like that! Again, ZELDA power, activate! Zelda's quaint and simple style is constituted by it's "plasticeness", as it's being referred to here. Check out Zelda's trees. They're just massive blobs on trunks, but they're great, the transition edge from grass to dirt is just a solid constant thick line. How "plastic".
The tileset as a whole has such gestalt, I can't get tired of looking at it. Let me define that so the thought isn't skipped by any readers here - "a configuration or pattern of elements so unified as a whole that it cannot be described merely as a sum of its parts" (Google definition).

Sorry gents, I'm not trying to go against the grain here. I honestly think this particular tileset indicates prospect to attain something like Zelda's look, I'm not saying rip it, I'm just saying use it for an example on what works.

Bhalzak, I encourage you to create your tiles/sprites for this thing in the most simple way possible. Design economy to the nth. Feature large bold objects. Avoid constant 1 pixel detail. Dithering is illegal. The world maps of Zelda speak way louder than this text. It's funny, I'm not obessed with Zelda like it must seem, I just think it's a good bar. I probably need to play more games, but that takes too much time, haha.

Your new bush is flat, but I like the direction.

Offline Bhalzak

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: May 04, 2009, 07:40:08 am

Update!

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #34 on: May 04, 2009, 08:17:13 am
Nice work. The thing that immediately pops to my notice is that the house looks very flat. It's not the door or the windows but the walls/roof.
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline Bhalzak

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: May 05, 2009, 08:59:31 am
Wip: new home.

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #36 on: May 06, 2009, 05:27:41 am
Looks much less flat now, bravo :D

I didn't notice it before, but now I'm wondering where the light on the top of the door is coming from. You show it as partly 'in' the house because the base is above the base of the walls, but the top of the door seems to indicate it's stuck out somewhere. Maybe the door frame top should be darker instead of lighter?
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!

Offline Bhalzak

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: May 07, 2009, 03:48:03 am
thx..
Edit:
->

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #38 on: May 07, 2009, 04:01:00 am
You can bury the base of the door into the house a little bit like you did before. Lovely roof design, very slime-friendly.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #39 on: May 07, 2009, 04:10:52 am
How do slimes open doors?  ???