AuthorTopic: Slimeworld! (formerly: Grass/Field Tile)  (Read 34903 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: Slimeworld! (formerly: Grass/Field Tile)

Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 09:07:55 am
Nearly every engine renders the game in tiles, which is what we're trying to say. In order to achieve something more natural you have to plan your tiles to be more natural, and a square and boring level is only hindering you in that. Imagine up a more lively level, start building, and make your tiles as you need them rather than just making your tiles and building what you can with what you made. You simply have to make more diverse tiles.

For example, here is a screenshot from Zelda: Link to the Past.

They use tiles, but look at the dirt and the grass and swamp... it's not laid out in squares. Instead, they use their tiles to their advantage to make things more natural and round. Now, admittedly, 32x32 is large for a tile which means they won't be as flexible, but you can remedy this by making more combinations. Instead of simply having one tile for the flowers, make two or three with the flower in different positions in the tile, or with different amounts of flowers. Instead of making just one sharp corner tile for the dirt, also make a more round corner tile, and combine the two to make a more natural path. Really, this comes down to a combination of level design AND graphical design, and you can't approach both independently.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 09:19:54 am by Dusty »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 10:36:42 am

That's the stuff right there ain't it, christie!

Offline Bhalzak

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 10:52:46 am
Okay,finally i've understand,i must made more combo for differentiate "graphical vision" and give it a natural effect.
Sorry,I've tried to defend me with the excuse of the "squared" tile , but you have reason all If I want to have a more natural vision, I must work more.
Probably it was only laziness ^^'
Thx to All.

Offline Bhalzak

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: April 24, 2009, 03:17:01 pm
Little Update!

C&C

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Reply #24 on: April 24, 2009, 07:58:22 pm
I can't really say until I see it in an actual scene, but at this point I like your previous version much better. The newer one lacks character and the cutesy-ness that the rest of your tiles have.
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: April 24, 2009, 09:35:26 pm
I see you're drawing some inspiration from Zelda. I think that's a fitting direction to go. You were already headed there.

We need to see the tiles at work in a tiled landscape, like you've been showing, in order to crit you.

I like that you've enlarged the detail in the new tile, though - rather than numerous tiny "waves" in the dirt/grass transition, you'll have less now. I think your grass to water transition tiles should be made the same way - less detail. More cell-shaded, just like your nifty plants.

This particular Zelda game will always be my favorite. It's nice to look at the tilesets again, with more knowledge if pixel art and tiling now:

Zelda: A Link to the Past
    Light World
    Dark World
    Screenshots Miscellany

« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 09:41:16 pm by Mathias »

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: April 24, 2009, 10:23:03 pm
I see you're drawing some inspiration from Zelda. I think that's a fitting direction to go. You were already headed there.

We need to see the tiles at work in a tiled landscape, like you've been showing, in order to crit you.

I like that you've enlarged the detail in the new tile, though - rather than numerous tiny "waves" in the dirt/grass transition, you'll have less now. I think your grass to water transition tiles should be made the same way - less detail. More cell-shaded, just like your nifty plants.

This particular Zelda game will always be my favorite. It's nice to look at the tilesets again, with more knowledge if pixel art and tiling now:

Zelda: A Link to the Past
    Light World
    Dark World
    Screenshots Miscellany

I don't know why you keep mentioning Zelda, the style looks nothing LTTP related,  imo, you should keep the old dirt tiles, the new ones might end looking like mud, IMO, you should try to stay away from patterns while tiling, for example adding a square of 3x3 tiles with only flowers or a line of same flowers, I see nature as something more random without any shape on it. The tree and the bush are in different style, you should also mess more with hue in the trees so it looks more natural, and try to give it a less plastic feeling to it by changing the shading. but still I find it nothing similar to Zelda at all.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: April 25, 2009, 01:08:36 am
beware of banding!  and I too think the new will look too much like mud, but i can't speak until it's in place.

Matthias - can you make any case for why you think this looks like zelda?
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Bhalzak

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: April 25, 2009, 09:21:07 am

I know.. if i must made all the elements for receive a critics.. but i want go slow to redesign a new tile..

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: April 25, 2009, 11:29:26 am
great edit, it improves upon both stylistically and just technically.  Color is richer too :).
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.