AuthorTopic: Slimeworld! (formerly: Grass/Field Tile)  (Read 34898 times)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Grass/Field Tile

Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 03:01:30 pm

I don't see much in common with Z:LttP.

Hehe, hence usage of "reminiscent" not similar. Don't worry, to call this tileset similar in merit to A Link to the Past's is an insult to me, too. No offense, Bhalzak!

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Grass/Field Tile

Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 10:08:51 pm

I don't see much in common with Z:LttP.

Hehe, hence usage of "reminiscent" not similar. Don't worry, to call this tileset similar in merit to A Link to the Past's is an insult to me, too. No offense, Bhalzak!

There's no need for the quality comparison even if there was more visual similarity.  It's really not even really 'reminiscent' though, there are a dozen games ten times more similar to each.  If anything, it's far more 'reminiscent' of Pokemon.

How does RPGMaker handle transparency nowadays?  I feel like the blobs could be a *bit* more solid...
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Bhalzak

• View Profile

Re: Slimeworld! (formerly: Grass/Field Tile)

Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 12:35:51 pm
Update!

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 04:47:08 pm
shoreline's nice but not really an improvement...old style had charm
house looks flatter and less integrated than ever :/

new white flowers an improvement
bush is odd...needs more integration with base while also needing to stand out better in the leaves.

can someone maybe demonstrate a bit about attractive map layouts? I'm at my university computers and lack the programs.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 06:31:47 pm
Well, I wasn't sure to comment on the mapping or not, as it may have been only a test for the tiles.

But, yeah. It doesn't look natural, everything is quite stiff and square, for instance, you can make that body of water look more natural by adding some twists and turns to the silhouette. You can make the scene more organic by scattering the trees properly, rather than aligning them to the edges of the map.

Do the same with the 'details' the flowers and bushes and such, it's almost as if it's a painting itself, scatter them properly, don't, for instance, hug the tree-lines with a certain flower the whole way across, make it look realistic.

Right now you have one big square for the body of water, which is hugged by a 1-tile thick border of flat grass. You have a straight vertical line of trees down the left side, and the left and top sides of the map also lined by white and red flowers. Pretty much everything else is covered just by the little leaf things. Anyways those are just patterns I noticed.

It's a step in the right direction with the smaller tiles of the white flowers, spreading out from the edges of the map. I also think, maybe the road needs a little more attractive transitioning into the grass. And your house design there needs a bit of a thinking over.

Honestly, though it's not bad stuff, there's something about your trees that I love, although I'm not sure that they quite look like trees. And I second everything Adarias said.

Offline Bhalzak

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 07:15:19 pm
I understand the problem,but this map is a Tile-Test,i need for testing Tileset =P

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 07:32:56 pm
I understand the problem,but this map is a Tile-Test,i need for testing Tileset =P
I think the problem that has been said though is when you create a tileset from such a rigid level layout, the tileset suffers because it's not being made with a more creative mindset to fit the levels. If your test level is more natural and lively then the tiles themselves will reflect that when they're done.

Offline Bhalzak

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: April 22, 2009, 11:59:06 pm
I don't know..
For made maps exsist a template?
I anyone can show me please...

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 01:32:26 am
Quickish edit:

Mainly tried taking Ad... ndchristie's suggestions of making the level less rigid into consideration. My result probably isn't tile-friendly, but it's just to give you an idea. You could easily make tiles out of them. However this could be done even moreso, for example the flower layouts and such are still designed in squares rather than being more random like a natural setting would be.

Also made slight changes to the bush to make it feel like less of an orb and more of part of the level, as well as fixed the banding on the fish shadows and one side of the house.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 01:35:22 am by Dusty »

Offline Bhalzak

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 08:40:07 am
maybe i've understand,i must to render all homogenous and not "squared"
But the software is made in this way:
I'm don't free,i must follow the scheme of the software..
you can see in this pic

The Map is formed from 32x32 Square,i must paint more Square for leave the "rigid and square effect"
I hope you comprise me..

(PS: Sorry another time,for my "very bad" English)