AuthorTopic: Slimeworld! (formerly: Grass/Field Tile)  (Read 35117 times)

Offline Bhalzak

• View Profile

Slimeworld! (formerly: Grass/Field Tile)

on: April 16, 2009, 02:45:23 pm
I need c & c on my "work"
I work for my game and i must made field and grass (without trees,houses,ect)
this is the template

and this is a preview

how i can give a best effect?

(the size for any tile is 32x32)

« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 12:34:00 am by Jad »

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Re: Grass/Field Tile

Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 12:08:23 am
Not that I'm the wisest one here, but given you're working on a simpler look it actually all looks absolutely fine to me. Very cutesie. I see no obvious hurtful-on-the-eyes tiling.

Perhaps once you've added more objects to the tileset it'll be easier to tell what does and doesn't work.

If you're using a program like RPG Maker XP with 'autotiles', you may want to incorporate your darker green path tiles into it. It'll give you more room on your tileset, and will push you a little in order to make the autotile work right in all possible combinations. Plus you can then have autotiles that gradiate (if that's the right word) or merge into each other.

The other thing you could possibly do is have a small round shadow built into your sprite sheet, under the jelly.
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline Bhalzak

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 08:39:45 am
Thx for all,but i don't like made auto-tiles,they are too limitate.

Update! ( i've added the House and the Lake,but this don't give me water effect >-<)

And the template.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 11:50:59 am
nice start, but your flowers are too obviously "square tile of flowers". Also, if you want to give the illusion of perspective, make sure you have that perspective effect everywhere, not just on large objects. A little shadow under the flower, or a few leaves that make it "pop out" will help making the whole thing fit, Otherwise, it will just give the feeling that your put a flowery wallpaper on the ground and voilą.

Since your characters are translucent blobs, you may want dark objects (like the red flower, the tree, etc.) to show through as well.

Also note that the red flower near the purple blob should remain "in front of" that blob, imho.

Offline Bhalzak

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 01:38:05 pm
I've made the shadow under the flowers o.o

Update!

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 04:50:18 pm
Much better, good progress on the water tiles. You might want to detail the ground under the water, at least where you would be able to see it, so maybe just around the banks. Your choice.

The house looks kind of awkward to me, can't really put my finger on it yet, though. And in one of the frames for the slime bounce, as you can see in the purple one, there is some nasty jagged lines / isolated pixels.

Still might want to break the grid a little with your various flower tiles.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 06:07:11 pm
Hey now, this is lookin' stylish. It's very reminiscent of Zelda: A Link to the Past on SNES. Trust me you want to hit my link.

Offline Bhalzak

• View Profile

Slimeworld/House

Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 07:28:54 pm
Thx a lot ^^

I've try to give more perspective effect to house

(PS: any mod/admin can change the title in "Slimeworld" pls? ^^)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 07:52:21 pm
Don't bother with the ground under the water I don't think, just take an axe to the outline.

I don't see much in common with Z:LttP.

The one big thing I need to point out is that good tile design demands good map design.  the boring layout you've got working is going to make you tiles like two steps worse than if you were working on a more interesting map.  Look to say, squaresoft games for an idea of how to not get stuck with such rigid layouts.
http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/SuperNES/SeikenDensetsu3(J)-HolyCityWendel.png this is a very simple village plan, but see how slight jogs and deviations give it a lot more life than just the straight lines you're playing with?

house is  an improvement but needs something more to it.  it feels very bland and undrawn compared to the rest...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 07:54:34 pm by ndchristie »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Bhalzak

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 08:44:12 pm
Thx for crits Christie.
i try to follow your advices. ^^