AuthorTopic: Call me a rasist but it's a black man with big lips.  (Read 3406 times)

Offline rehugun

• Hello
    • View Profile
I'm kind of stuck on this and not sure how to improve or what to add ect, I really tried to AA here a lot  :crazy: would greatly appreciate help

Offline Squiggly_P

• View Profile

Re: Call me a rasist but it's a black man with big lips.

Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 02:20:37 am
RACIST!!!

Now that that's out of the way, I'm having a hard time figuring out the mouth.  Is the large circle the lips and the stuff inside supposed to be teeth, or are the things inside supposed to be the lips and there's a large circle around them for some reason?

I mean, I know it was customary with blackface to paint rings around the lips like that to make them look larger, but this doesn't really look like traditional blackface either.  The top part of the head actually looks kinda tribal and cool.  It's stylized but has some structure to it.  The mouth area just doesn't look like a mouth.  I THINK I know what you were trying to do, but I think you should check out some of those early, highly racist cartoons that featured blackface characters, or some turn of the century comic characters.  They tended to make the mouth area more ape-like and emphasized it by making it a lighter shade.  What you've got here is similar in approach, but without the ape-like quality.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 04:06:21 am
I'm just not able to make any sense of this sprite at all. It's just odd. Not readible. Mouth is very weird.

Offline rehugun

• Hello
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 05:19:41 am
hope this clears up some things for you :D