AuthorTopic: Smoker  (Read 3366 times)

Offline Saffron

• View Profile

Smoker

on: April 11, 2009, 12:41:27 am

Pixelled interpretation of the smoker from Left 4 Dead. I'd definitely appreciate some help.
I'm aware of the shittiness.

Offline Squiggly_P

• View Profile

Re: Smoker

Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 03:15:42 am
I've never played the game, but I have a couple ideas for you:

1) His right knee (his right) looks too low.  Make that shadow area start about 4 or 5 pixels higher and it'll read better, me thinks.
2) His head / face is really hard to make out.  I think I can see an eye, a mouth and a half-exploded / rotted face?  If that's the case, then it looks great.  Some hair might sell the head, as well as some indication of where his other eye would be if it wasn't destroyed.  Humans are good at turning abstract shapes into faces in our minds, but it ususally helps a lot to have something that represents both eyes, even if one is just a shadow or something.
3) I dunno what's up with the vertical strip of gray from his chin to his crotch.  I'm guessing this is a character trait, but I'm not sure exactly what it is.
    (I just went to edit it and I can see now that it's a tongue?)
4) The colored outlines are great.  They give it a really nice, animated sort of feel.  The feet and head could use a similar treatment.
5) His left hand (his left) feels sorta like the kind of hands those little lego dudes have.  The other one doesn't seem so bad, but I think that left one could use some indication of the rest of his hand between his thumb and index finger somewhere.

6) He's the cleanest zombie ever.

I like it a lot, tho.  It's not shitty at all.  I can totally see this in a demake of Left for Dead, being torn apart by point blank shotgun blasts.

EDIT: I edited the image to add a couple more of my suggestions, but it still showing me the old one (which i deleted... grrrr...)  Hopefully it works for everyone else...
I moved the knee up a bit, lightened the darker shade for the pants (it was pretty close to the outline color) altered his left hand and modified and added some of the shading on the pants.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 04:16:24 am by Squiggly_P »

Offline Saffron

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 04:21:14 am
Points considered. I'll edit it soon to reflect some attempted improvement.
Here's what it looks like since you've never played the game.

Update:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 04:41:05 am by Saffron »

Offline Derek_Reaves

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 02:49:25 pm
Removing a lot of the outlines could help a lot - this way it wont conflict with any backgrounds. This is just a quick edit to show what I mean. You also had 2 stray bright green pixels on the shirt that could be removed.

I'm pretty sure that you can smooth up the arms a bit. I tried to, but fixing them up eludes me.I also believe that this piece can do with a bit of palette tweaking, so hopefully someone else will make an edit and help out. =]

Offline Koi Kami Mauro

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 05:09:37 pm
Why does he have torn pants? Are you making him your version or making the Smoker from L4D? If so, needs a darker palette.