AuthorTopic: Ghostopus!  (Read 6073 times)

Offline Euphronios

• Ruff in the jungle
    • View Profile

Ghostopus!

on: April 06, 2009, 10:39:41 pm
I drew inspiration from the image posted here: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=8239.0
While I was, unfortunately, unable to think of anything useful to help the fellow; I did come up with this:

Taking some advice from Helm to yet another poster in another thread, I worked this from the ground up in the same way I would do a painting. (i.e. laying broad strokes to start and shaping my volumes from there instead of using linework to define form ) I also made it a point to spend as little time fussing with it as possible. I've invested a good hour into this so I'm now aware that I'm little more than a novice. I'd really like some help refining this image while staying in the 11 colours (any- no set palette) +trans limit I've set for myself. In particular the large blob of highlight on the noggin' and antialiasing are exasperating to me. Also, I'd like to actually learn how to use color to my advantage and stop making such monchromatic pieces, so if anyone has a link to some thread or site that'd be wonderful as well.

Thanks for taking a look!

I know it would have more than eight "legs" if you count what's on the other side of the body, but ghostopus sounds cool. . .

Update for the lazy:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 02:03:20 am by Euphronios »
“I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.”  ~Stephen Hawking

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Ghostopus!

Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 10:47:27 pm
Haha, an original piece, thank you pixel gods. :D Its looking really good, you should add more detail to it like some freckles to make it feel more aged. By using color to your advantage, what do you mean? Do you need to learn the color theory? Need help with anti-aliasing?

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 10:56:19 pm
Its good. It could be better with an ambient glow and a more clearly defined light source ( right now highlights are all over the place ).

Right now the teeth look a little sloppy and there's a spot on the head that needs some detail.

The eye could use some eyelids.

Keep up the good work.

Offline Euphronios

• Ruff in the jungle
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 11:22:12 pm

Highlights are as they are because it's supposed to look wet and/or slimy.
Changed this however to fit current lightsource and added eyelid.
Not sure how to go about fixing these: "the teeth look a little sloppy" and "add more detail to it like some freckles to make it feel more aged". I know what you guys mean but implementation is escaping me. The large area of highlight on the head is certainly a big quality killer for me right now as well.
Yes to all three of your questions bengoshia.  :crazy:
If someone were so inclined and had the time, an edit ( even in red pixel ) would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the input so far!
“I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.”  ~Stephen Hawking

Offline Koi Kami Mauro

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 11:45:30 pm
I may be wrong, but I believe if you keep the highlights of the first version while changing the highlight of his head (I beleve that's the noggin?) to be more of an upwards light, it would work. Sorry if I didn't word it well.

Offline Euphronios

• Ruff in the jungle
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 11:54:05 pm

Do you mean like this? ( Over there on the right side. . .)

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 12:39:43 am
Okay first off I am a color hog, so working with only 11 colors is not my strong point.

I edited your monster a bit and realized it would take me hours to fix it the way I was planning, so instead I blew it up 10x, painted over it, then shrunk it back down.

So here is basically what I had in mind for improvements. If you can do this with 11 colors your a pixel god :lol:

Basic points:

Fix the the teeth, they look all out of whack and the highlighting doesn't look consistant.

Use the highlights to give the tentacles depth. Don't highlight ( so much ) something that is not directly in the light. I tried to illustrate this with my edit.

Oh ya fix the light source so it looks consistent. I tried to show this with my edit.

Don't go overboard with the highlights and make the skin look like metal like I did with my edit :blind: You have a nice wet look going right now, it just needs proper direction.

An ambient light source would do wonders. I tried to do this with the purple and light blue.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 12:45:56 am by EvilEye »

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 01:01:00 am
Not that I know enough to comment yet, but it looks like the original critter had light source top right, whereas the new one has the source shifted to the left. That aside, the edit looks absolutely incredible. I love the way the eye looks way better now.

It left me wondering, though - is painting things at 10x, shrinking it down then editing over it to fix up the color count etc something that is commonly done, and is it a big time saver? Wondering if I'd get my trees done faster if I tried them that way.

*wanders off to try*
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline Koi Kami Mauro

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 01:13:25 am
I meant to position the light spot more like in EvilEye's edit. I do believe it would help.

Offline Euphronios

• Ruff in the jungle
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 01:57:15 am
OKAY! Fucking bad ass edit, thank you.

I've moved the light source over and added the kick light. I have tried to emulate your edit since I like it so much. I do understand the critique now. Clearly the very black areas on the left will have to be addressed next before refinement.
This is just a very rough edit to see if I'm on the right track. Yes?

@ Scribblette: In a production environment whatever you have to do to meet criteria and deadline in unison is fine. Here, though, just for the sake of preserving the artform, I think it may be a different matter.