AuthorTopic: Pixelation: The Game (Part 2)  (Read 19434 times)

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Re: Pixelation: The Game (Part 2)

Reply #30 on: June 05, 2006, 10:43:21 am
Yes, I have a question also.
Why did you choose to put the default platform-height in the middle of the screen? (This causes, as seen from the screens above, the earth-tile to repeat many many times.)
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: June 05, 2006, 10:51:18 am
it seems to be exactly the height of the portrait-textboxes, and also is a lot less work and memory consuming as background? just some quick thoughts, the repetition stood out to me right away too

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #32 on: June 05, 2006, 04:48:44 pm
One of the casualties of working on a tight deadline. We should have lowered the camera in that level, since it's all outside, or crafted a more dynamic camera. The reason it's centered in the screen is because most of the game is indoors with multiple floors, so we needed the player to see what's below them at all times. But the short answer is it's one of the many things in this game that could've used a little more tweaking, but we simply ran out of time. Luckily, I think the snow tile is really the only overly-tiled looking bit in the game (or at the very least, the most obvious).

- Adam

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #33 on: June 09, 2006, 04:27:24 pm
well,I'd like to start from the beggining.

they gave you this project, as a "port" of the ones on the main consoles, how much restrictiion did this bear?

I imagine they required you to use multiple mutants and switch them on the run, but what other restrictions came with this? a given storyline? the bosses to face? specific level events?

as far as I've gotten on the game, I notice the sprites are mostly monochromatic, is this something you required or the modeler's choice?

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: June 09, 2006, 07:36:14 pm
The animations are lovely, Adam. If I can get up the will, I'm going to try and capture some of the walk animations and attacks. I could learn a lot from these animations, especially about force and strength from Colosus.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #35 on: June 10, 2006, 12:17:32 am
I have to start off by saying miascugh, your avatar is fantastic! :) I totally wanna touch it.

"they gave you this project, as a "port" of the ones on the main consoles, how much restrictiion did this bear?"

Actually handheld games always start being tied into a release date, but don't necessarily have to be total adaptations. It depends on what the dev wants to do. We took their basic story, which went all over the globe, and took the best bit (the Alkali Lab section) and expanded that, as well as adding lots of cameos and fun ideas we had. All in all, we had a huge amount of freedom on the game, even which characters to use.

"I imagine they required you to use multiple mutants and switch them on the run, but what other restrictions came with this? a given storyline? the bosses to face? specific level events?"

Nope, multiple mutants were our idea from the first pitch. We wanted a game where you really felt the differences between each mutant (strength, speed, etc) instead of just being interchangeable art. We had to keep the basic storyline the same, and a lot of the process is give and take. We use this mutant, we get this boss, etc. But they gave us almost 100% freedom on the levels/settings, and I don't think they forced a boss on us either. We even got to put in X23, her videogame debut! :) Believe it or not, the biggest restriction was costume. We began the game back when no photos were released of the new movie, so all our characters looked more like the X-Men Legends versions. When the photos were released, we redesigned everyone to match their movie versions.

"as far as I've gotten on the game, I notice the sprites are mostly monochromatic, is this something you required or the modeler's choice?"

Well we are limited to 15 colors per sprite, but it was mostly a stylistic choice in the part of Josh and Gustav. It definitely makes things easier for the animators.

"The animations are lovely, Adam. If I can get up the will, I'm going to try and capture some of the walk animations and attacks. I could learn a lot from these animations, especially about force and strength from Colosus."

Go Paul Robertson!

- Adam

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #36 on: June 13, 2006, 06:00:51 am
I see now...you guys had the most trouble re-editing all the models to look like in the movie...is that why wolverine looks so...well, fuzzy? :p

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #37 on: June 20, 2006, 06:45:05 am