AuthorTopic: [WIP] Big Head Challenge  (Read 4415 times)

Offline Tarenken

• View Profile

[WIP] Big Head Challenge

on: March 12, 2009, 03:42:39 am
*copied from PJ*

Part of Jaeden's big head challenge. The goal of the challenge is to make a big portrait that looks like it could have been made using non-pixel methods.
I'm kinda straying from the goal for fear of this not being accepted + my <3 of contrast, but I'm having fun and learning new techniques along the way so it's a lot of fun.

Original:

Current WIP:

^ Kagami, a character from my story. She's a Gaki and she eats corpses. :P

The shading has obviously just been blocked out, and I kinda need advice on how to shade the hair/face before I go refining it. Color choice and anatomy advice is also appreciated.
Redlines are <3.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 03:13:14 am by Tarenken »

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Re: [WIP] Big Head Challenge

Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 04:21:56 am
Neck seems a little too long or thin, but that might just be personal preference. I can't tell exactly where the light is coming from, it looks like straight above in some places, but the shading on the neck throws that off a bit.

I like it, though! Definitely has character. Seems a little happy-go-lucky for a corpse eater.  :P
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline Tarenken

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 01:25:17 am
little by little...

If you can't tell the difference the skin shading is fixed and AA'd. I have a feeling I'm using too many colors, but I don't want to ditch the AA. Any suggestions?

Offline Tarenken

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 12:41:40 am

expanded the AA out into shades and dithered a bit. it looks kinda tooled now, right?

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 11:46:47 am
you still haven't adressed your light souce issue, even i cant figure out where exactly the light is coming from.

your choice of color, is your voice of color
BallsArt

Offline Tarenken

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 01:18:15 pm
I started with the lightsource coming from the upper right, but I might have overdid the light a little... I can see why it might look ambiguous, especially on the neck and shoulders. I'll fix that in my next version.
Any other comments?

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 01:24:37 pm
I interpret the light source as coming from the front for the face, neck, and ears, and well...  Most of the piece really.  You can probably just change the hair to be more consistent with the rest, as well as a put a slight highlight and maybe a shade to define the chin better (think what you did for the cheeks, but apply that to the chin).

Offline Tarenken

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 03:12:50 am

been working on this a lot, just haven't posted. Getting a lot of help from Glam! but thought I'd get different advice here...