AuthorTopic: Something I'm working on.. Need help, please..  (Read 6006 times)

Offline Zack

• View Profile

Something I'm working on.. Need help, please..

on: April 01, 2009, 03:48:37 am

Hey.. well, im really stuck with this running animation.. how would I go about making it smoother? You guys all are really good, and I need to learn how to animate. :x For a game I'm helping out with..
I'll listen to anyones advice.. Sorry I've been asking this forum alot of questions lately on how to do stuff.. :P I am just still a noob at this.

Offline hsn2555

• Hakuna Matata
    • View Profile
    • HsnGoneWild Gallery

Re: Something I'm working on.. Need help, please..

Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 10:49:19 am
add more frames,
last frame frame would be like this :
?
Be Like no other

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 11:12:16 am
I'd try making it 8 frames for a generic run. Check out this great reference image (from idleworm.com)

Right now, your four frames are super-high-point, contact, passing, and highpoint. When the legs are at full extension they should be nearing the ground, like in the second frame you have. Then, the weight of the body will make the extended leg bend as the body passes over it. Also, don't be lazy and copy the first four frames, make 8 individual frames with care for the best result.

Of course there is a lot of variation, and a run does not need to be exactly 8 frames, and does not need to follow this formula. But, if you're just starting out and want something that looks good, I'd say stick with this until you are more skilled.

Offline Zack

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 02:10:50 pm
Alright, thanks, i'll try again. Oh and thanks for the edit Hsn2555 - I'll check both ways and see which fits best..  :lol:

Offline hsn2555

• Hakuna Matata
    • View Profile
    • HsnGoneWild Gallery

Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 03:05:10 pm
what i meant that you can add a frame contains that situation
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 03:32:47 pm by hsn2555 »
Be Like no other

Offline Claredeth

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 11:29:40 am
Hey it looks pretty "delicious" but did you do any walking animations to get a hold of what your running is suppose to be like?

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 01:32:52 pm
Folks, walking and running are two distinctly different actions. If Zack is doing a running animation why do we keep talking about walking? :mean:

Running is a series of quick leaps, walking is a series of controlled falls.
Zack you were headed in the right direction but I think your character is expending too much energy with each leap, like he's jumping over hurdles rather than just propelling himself forward. Take a look at a real human running and note the leg positions. You don't have to follow these exactly but you should have your animation grounded just enough in reality to make it believable.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 01:36:49 pm by Ben2theEdge »
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Zack

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 02:05:34 pm
Ha, alright.. I'll make it more believable, and thanks claredeth. ;)
One problem I seem to be running into is with the arms, it's a stick man it doesn't look like the arms meet and just wable around in the same position.. like if you take a look at the fith frame in that running animation of a real human, I did it also with my stick man, but you can't see the hands.. :\ So I'm kinda confused on that.. but I'll get the legs done. Thanks for the help Ben. :)
Is this more believable (Still got to work on the arms) I think it's better this time, but idk..  :-[

I used a different running reference though cause of the last frame in the one you gave me was confusing.. :S But I think they were on the same lines.. So once I get the feet all good, then I'll move towards the hands.. then I got some other stuff I might need help on if you guys don't mind.  :D
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 02:50:20 pm by Zack »

Offline Zack

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 12:05:39 am
Sorry for the double post, but I still need help.. :S
Could I PM someone to help me understand these walkcycles better and help me improve one on one? If not, is there anything anyone would like to tell me before I hand these in?  :( Perferably about the hands? Anyways, I'm really sorry for the bump and double post.. just still need help.. I hope I don't get in trouble for it.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 02:05:43 am
It's hard to tell how it animates if we can't see it animating by using a gif.  At least it is for me.