AuthorTopic: Pretty Pretty Pretty...  (Read 7520 times)

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Pretty Pretty Pretty...

on: March 31, 2009, 07:08:17 am
I'm assuming you guys have seen this?

In fact the artwork looks suspiciously familiar... I wouldn't be surprised if someone round here did it... :D
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: Pretty Pretty Pretty...

Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 07:58:25 am
: D

Nah, actually the art is made by phil fish (philippe poisson), the artist and designer for the game! He does hang around at the independent gaming source, but as far as I know he hasn't posted anything here O: He's not normally the pixel guy, more of an illustrator/designer type!

But with this game the 3d pixels (trixels) are the main attraction so that the art is made of low-res pixels does make sense : D

also yes, it's so extremely pretty! Especially the cyan/magenta cave, it just blows my mind with its simple beauty : D
' _ '

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 09:06:51 am
Yes, I'm quite looking forward to Fez.
Really puts Super Paper Mario to shame.
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 01:17:49 am
Looks cool, but also looks very, very disorienting.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 06:57:45 pm
The disorientingness is part of the gameplay though, so I believe the level design will make it easier for you to navigate sometimes and at other times hide things in plain sight as a challenging element.

This game design seems, as many other designs, to depend in the creativity of level design (:

Note that in the trailer he's just speeding through environments whereas a new player will probably look around for a good while : D
' _ '

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 07:43:21 pm
Yeah. I don't think this is meant for normal gamers, it's more nisched. It seems really awesome though, I really want to play this.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 08:24:25 pm
The disorientingness is part of the gameplay though, so I believe the level design will make it easier for you to navigate sometimes and at other times hide things in plain sight as a challenging element.

This game design seems, as many other designs, to depend in the creativity of level design (:

Note that in the trailer he's just speeding through environments whereas a new player will probably look around for a good while : D
Well I don't mean the hiding things is disorienting or such, but just how fast the camera whips around, and with smaller areas like in the movies, I imagine you'd end up doing that a lot. I'd probably prefer if it were slowed down a tad.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 09:15:32 pm
As I've come to understand it you will indeed be able to flip it around slowly if you want to O: I think the speed is just for the trailer to look good. Like the dark cave place, it's probably supposed to be a slow exploration kind of map, and maybe also a trial-and-error kind of map, but the trailer just rushes through it in favor of a good viewing pace instead O:

: D

I am totally stoked for this game, yesss
' _ '

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 09:47:46 pm
Yeah, the presentation looks very, very promising -- I especially dig those little nasty creatures, and yeah, the dark cyan/magenta cavern Jad mentioned too -- it looks like a ZX game location thrown into a full 3D environment.  The mechanics rock as well.

I'll certainly play the game, hope it won't end up as an unfinished project like many ambitious creations do.  Thanks for sharing the link!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 09:49:18 pm by johnnyspade »
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 10:09:26 pm
The game is really cool, surprised it hasn't been done before. (And Paper Mario isn't exactly what this is.) It could make for some interesting puzzles and reaction sequences having to do things such as flip whilst in mid-air.

If you check out the other links on the side, you can see some more previews. One of them clearly shows being able to rotate the camera as you please, although you aren't able to move while doing so, it's more of a 'look around' thing.

And if anyone has seen the other one, did you notice the bad translation? (Or the bad english, if it was made here.) Maybe I'm just seeing it, or hopefully, and most likely, they aren't done.

Definitely a must play for me.