AuthorTopic: What did you do to become such an awesome spriter?  (Read 4488 times)

Offline Mabelma

• View Profile

What did you do to become such an awesome spriter?

on: March 31, 2009, 10:39:03 pm
I'm sorry if I'm not suppose to do this. If I'm not suppose to do it then please closed it and delete this topic.
So the rules are simple. Post some of the things you did at the beggining of your spriting life. For example some tutorials you saw or maybe some videos, a style you maybe started to spriting in, some things that you kept in mind while spriting your first sprite and of course post those first sprite together with what you did.
I can't do this ok delete it.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Re: What did you do to become such an awesome spriter?

Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 10:57:15 pm
I'm not even near an 'awesome spriter', I just believe I have a good deal of common sense, general knowledge, and patience.. as well as the ability to self-critique pretty fairly, I think, helps me push above most 'beginners', who seem to ignore many rules of pixel art, or art in general, amongst other things.

I originally wanted to get into pushing pixels only a few months ago, as a means to develop graphics for future game projects I may work on, and one that was being planned at the time. It is still my intention/goal to produce nice tilesets and sprites, despite the project having died. I am planning a new project now. However, my studying and research have led me to want to create more than that, and produce some of the things on the caliber of that as you can see in the hall of fame at PixelJoint, not tilesets or sprites, or even game-related art, just general art. I have yet to really make much, I have maybe made 1 or 2 pieces larger than 50x50, the rest are tries at sprites or tiles, or just experiments. I have, however, done a lot of research and studying, and still constantly do. I'd like to mention that I may have found a hidden talent as I have practically never dabbled in art at all, before I came to this forum to try some pixel art, although it is commonly said that pixels are not the medium to get into to learn art. And they're right.

First pixels:
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=7538.0

First 'big' piece:
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=8167.0
(I never did finish, despite saying I wanted to. :()

I'd like to some day have some people that look up to me, in terms of pixel art, maybe. That would be nice. But ultimately, I just want to better myself.

Well, I feel pretty conceited talking about myself, but there you go, that's me up until this point.

Offline Mabelma

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 11:05:20 pm
Why are you liying? Jk. If those were actually you're first pixels then you're quite the pixel artist on like me I'm pretty bad. That's why I came here to learn from the best that means you guys. Thanks for Posting Dr.D

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 11:07:33 pm
I don't think I'm very great at all, for instance, when FrostPumpkin posted his 'slime' edit today, as opposed to mine, I seen how much our edits differed. But, thanks. And be patient with critique or replies, as others may be working on extensive edits or replies to give you, which may take some time. Or they may have noticed, but did not get a chance to reply at that time.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 02:39:28 am
An extremely large portion of my growth has come from critiquing others on this forum. Edits are great, if I didn't do them I'd be half as proficient as I am now. :)

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 01:08:42 pm
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Mabelma

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 06:55:22 pm
So what you guys do is accept critics and be self critic.I'm one of the only persons in this forum that first pixels were really bad. Thanks guys keep coming please. If you could C+C my topics in sprite discussion It'll be greatly appreciated.

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 08:01:24 pm
Makes you wonder, doesn't it? How can some people be so much better than us common beginners.
The only way to become good is practice. Self discipline is very good too, I don't really have any of that, which is why alot of my art sucks. :yell:

The first pixelart I did was deleted a few days ago, it was a goblin-esque thing :(. My second pixelart was this sprite, though the rocks are not that old, they're made this winter.

The way I've learned stuff is by browsing this site and posting some of my stuff for critique.

Offline Mabelma

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 08:19:44 pm
Now that looks like something I would do. It's true I'm in some spriting communities and I have learn a lot but there's a lot for me to learn to become an average spriter.