my slime,any advice/critics?

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Re: Slime

Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 11:58:07 pm
Right now it looks more like a rock with a spike than slime. Try making it look more transparent, like jello.

The critique in this thread might be of some use.

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=7991.0
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline Bhalzak

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 12:00:52 pm
Update:

>

Offline ALTER

• @#
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 03:57:30 pm
second version looks better, exept  it might be better if the light reflection was more white instead of light blue. it owuld make it look shiny
lol

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 05:52:52 pm
I would suggest figuring out a way to give it a translucent look. You can probably find examples of that floating around the forums here. Otherwise, the new version is a definite improvement over the old one.

Offline FrostPumpkin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 06:31:35 pm
Hi Bhalzak !
As they said, you should make it a more translucent look. Also, playing with color hue is always interesting.

Here is an edit I made. Gave it a cuter look too  ^-^

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 06:49:56 pm
Right now you have a few problems, stray or isolated pixels (don't really help much in this case because slime should be smooth.). Your outline, I believe this is an example of sel-out a good one, (or, bad, depending on how you look at it.) at that. Look at this:

As you can see, when creating a sprite that you plan on using for like a game or something, it's usually a bad idea to blend it onto the background. And, also, for a similar reason, it's good to stray from pure-white or black backgrounds, and pick something in-between, so you don't misconstrue how you see your colors. If you're just making this just because, and don't plan on using it for anything, I suppose it's alright then. Most people here frown on sel-out, although it can sometimes be used to an advantage. In this case I'd have to recommend you either remove the sel-out, or remove the outline altogether. (<- don't think you always need an outline, sometimes not having them can yield some pretty effects and make your picture pop, although they are commonly used in games as a means of separating elements, such as sprites from the background, and making sure the viewer's eyes don't get lost or confused, searching for what they need, such as their character, if they are controlling one.)

Here's a quick edit:

I removed the eyebrow feature because in my mind, I just don't see it as viable for such a creature to have, but that is just my opinion, feel free to add it again. It makes the slime look a little menacing, too. I also upped the saturation of the colors by about 40, because I also, simply, see them that way, as opposed to duller, grayer, creatures.

Hope I helped, and good step on removing the dithering, that's anti-smoothness.

EDIT: Damn, Frost, beat me to it, that's a great edit, I could learn a lot from it as well. Mine is very simple.

Offline Bhalzak

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 07:35:04 pm
x Frost: your edit is too awesome! i love your style,but it's different from my ^^'
But i understand the problem,and i try to give the traslucent look at my slime ^_^
I prey one day for became  as like you!

x Dr. D,right,i know,next i correct,and reduce low the A.A

thx to all!
i love this forum and the members <3 XD

edit:

>
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 07:55:24 pm by Bhalzak »

Offline Zuonius

• Huzzah!
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 01:46:04 am
Aww, he looks sad now.  :(

It's not as fun to defeat slimes in a game that look like they want to die. Give him a funny smile, maybe 2 big front teeth.

On another note: If you say bhalzak out loud it sounds dirty  :lol:

Offline pixeltao

• View Profile
    • PIXELTAO

Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 06:42:08 am
The last one definitely looks better. However, I think you could improve it a bit more by removing the isolated dark pixels near the shadow, it makes it look grainy. And don't be afraid to use a pure white for the small highlight on the top. Also, I think the shadow underneath should reach a bit further considering the top-view perspective. That's about it!