AuthorTopic: Animation Help  (Read 2605 times)

Offline notoalpena

• View Profile

Animation Help

on: April 01, 2009, 05:52:57 pm
I can't seem to get this right, :( I'm horrible with animations... and something seems wrong with the feet..
Also, it's not going to be blue, that was just my background at the time. :P

reference:

Offline Euphronios

• Ruff in the jungle
    • View Profile

Re: Animation Help

Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 10:57:05 pm
I don't think you're going to get anywhere you'd like to go by simply flipping the image.

http://www.mylovelyrats.com/category/videos
There are some good videos on that site.

It might help to whip up a little armature based on this: http://www.stanfordphotonics.com/images/xray%20RatSkeleton.jpg
You could use it to help with your keys.
“I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.”  ~Stephen Hawking

Offline questseeker

• View Profile

Re: Animation Help

Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 08:24:23 am
The hollow eyes and the aggressively protruding teeth, which are completely different from the glossy black eyes and the soft closed mouth of the reference, make the rat look very nasty. Is it a wanted effect?

Something obviously wrong with the hands is that rats have 5 fingers, not 3, and the fingers are quite long, thin and pliable: they should flex and adjust from frame to frame and the palm should be smaller.

The pose has another obvious error: the photo reference you are following is of a still, almost seated rat that spreads its rear legs for balance. Rats are neither rabbits nor kangaroos and they walk with their legs close together.

I agree with Euphronius that flipping one frame is completely insufficient. Apart from plain jerkiness in the legs and head, the tail shouldn't travel so far in the time the rat takes to make a step (another effect of basing the walking animation on a still reference: the tail is actually resting on the ground in a random position).