AuthorTopic: The good, the bad and the just plain ugly  (Read 7365 times)

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

The good, the bad and the just plain ugly

on: March 30, 2009, 02:21:21 pm
For an assignment at uni me and a group have been asked to make two game prototypes each within a week.  After this we will be continuing with one prototype made by the collective of a larger group.

I'm art lead of our current group so I get to have a bit of fun.  Because of time constraints the majority of the work is of very low quality (it is for a prototype after all).  Ive done a bunch of concept art and models, here are the later I wont show the concept art but for those that are a interested it can be found
here - http://z4.invisionfree.com/pixelclass/index.php?showtopic=217&st=0

The first game prototype:

Zombie enemy model.

Player weapon model.

The second game prototype:

The ugly :P damsel in distress, not to important so no real polishing or effort put into this... sorry you have to see it.  She is wearing a paper bag by the way...

The radioactive rabbit enemy model (I only did the texture on this model)

The texture:

The boss (created using the rabbit enemy model as a basis):

The texture:

Animation of the last model:
http://www.samzeid.com/
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 03:25:46 pm by zeid »
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile
    • allaze-eroler's deviantart

Re: The good, the bad and the just plain ugly

Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 04:00:11 pm
hello, i found these character very amazing but i noticed one problem : you have too much space so, i took a little liberty to make my own packing for you and i hope you don't mind. so, there what you should try to do :

and of course, you need to remove these too many color for to make a low poly with less color, it's exactly what the forum said ^^;

i hope you will understand what i wanted to mean :)

Offline Squiggly_P

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 04:13:38 am
I agree with allaze-eroler.  You could be getting so much more out of your textures right now.  That last texture you could easilly fit onto a 256 if you mirrored some bits and re-used other bits.

Dunno what tools your using for these, but It helps if you're mirroring the model's geometry to unwrap it before you apply the mirror to the mesh.  I dunno how other apps do this stuff, but with Blender that's the way it works.  I'm positive that other apps have a UV mirroring option, tho.

I like the really painterly style to these.  I wish more games would use that sort of approach to their art rather than the endless parade of normal-mapped hyper-real gray/brown crap that gets shoved out all the time.  I'd love to see more color in games.  So in that regard, keep doing what you're doing.  My only suggestion is to do it more efficiently from now on :P

Offline Redshrike

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 06:01:53 pm
Nice bump... though I would definitely love to see how this ended up turning out.