AuthorTopic: Arabian Knight  (Read 22067 times)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Arabian Knight

Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 12:54:52 pm
Haha, you're blaming the messiness on your tablet? Does it have some built in wobble/jitter feature or something? All I use is a tablet these days. You just have to get better with it. The messiness is more a result of not having polished it enough - the random texturing, the sketch's black lines still surviving the coloring phase, the light and dark pixels juxtaposed against eachother all over the place.

Overall it looks good, though. And the grittiness isn't horrible, it's a dirty sandy desert scene, so it actually lends a lttle bit to it.

Offline hsn2555

• Hakuna Matata
    • View Profile
    • HsnGoneWild Gallery

Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 04:45:53 pm
Haha, you're blaming the messiness on your tablet? Does it have some built in wobble/jitter feature or something? All I use is a tablet these days. You just have to get better with it. The messiness is more a result of not having polished it enough - the random texturing, the sketch's black lines still surviving the coloring phase, the light and dark pixels juxtaposed against eachother all over the place.

Overall it looks good, though. And the grittiness isn't horrible, it's a dirty sandy desert scene, so it actually lends a lttle bit to it.

Man! i got tired and bored ! i'll be working on it some time later .. -.-

well,i made something ..
Be Like no other

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 11:56:20 pm
For the character, who exactly is he supposed to be?  Your enemy by his face and costume seems like, if anything, a Turk, that more or less works out.  He's pale-skinned, wearing a turban, and his outfit would have been against medieval Islamic doctrine, so we can assume he is not Arabian by ethnicity. 

The main character you're calling a knight, but he carries a Persian shield an a vaguely eastern sword (although they could be found in any part of the Mediterranean by the fall of the Sassanid Dynasty).  Arabia has never had knights in the western sense of a direct feudal system (largely due to religious issues), and since he's dismounted we can assume he's not being called one because he's a horseman.  He wears a black cape, generally a garment worn by high-ranking Christians of the crusader states (mostly just Hospitallers and other orders founded in Jerusalem), but he doesn't carry any Christian emblem or equipment beyond that.

The reason I'm asking is because atm the headscarf is nonfunctional and killing the portrait.  I would suggest historical ways of wrapping the face, but his ethnicity and religion make a big difference in terms of what he can wear.  For instance, a westerner wouldn't wear the keffiyeh, but a Christian Arab still would.  it's about making a believable character.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline hsn2555

• Hakuna Matata
    • View Profile
    • HsnGoneWild Gallery

Reply #23 on: June 10, 2009, 11:08:15 am
I like how good and profound at historical knowledge you are.

well, maybe I'd better mention some points before even posting the actual work.

once upon a time there was an arabian muslim young guy named Ali, he and his family were living in an arabian happy town peacefuly,until some foreigner army/group came aiming to occupy the town.
So, Ali aimed to kick them out of the town and bring the peace back,so he just grabbed his father's sword and asked his mom to sew him a clothes .. since then the adventure's began ..
( i know he seems to be like a bandit more than a knight xD but i really liked it )

and about the shield and the pestilent dagger,a persian seller gifts Ali them .
grr .. i'm not getting into the story's details ..i'll keep them until i'm done with the art's part :)

Calling him a knight'd rather to be adjectively since his nobleness and bravery .
from Arabic (فَارِس - Faris) which means (horseman), (cavalier), and maybe (knight) <- since you told me, idk if it really means that proprely .
so i might be mistaken. i'll just keep an eye on "Faris" :D

Be Like no other

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: June 10, 2009, 04:30:44 pm
Faris can seem close to Knight though the French Cavalier and German Ritter, which both demand feudal rank and vassalage, but my readings have generally used it more in the sense of juts horsemen (all cavalry), and when it is specific, it tends to refer mostly to turkoman (unrecognized or disenfranchised asiatic families) cavalry whose level was on that of slaves (about the same as an Egyptian).  The Mamaaleek that emerge, some from this class (the difference being that a mameluk must convert to Islam) have been compared to knights, but this is a desperate comparison: the loyalty of a mameluk is not pledged but purchased (the name is slave, from the Semitic root of possession), they hold no title by their status (nor though are they barred from title, as a western commoner would be).  They have no code of chivalry.

I like your description though :).  Sounds fun.  The goblin there sets things a little farther from reality ^^.  In a few cases you reach the black on your palette too quickly, while other place (shield bottom, goblin's back and under-ear) would benefit from stronger shadowing/lining.
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline hsn2555

• Hakuna Matata
    • View Profile
    • HsnGoneWild Gallery

Reply #25 on: June 10, 2009, 05:55:32 pm
The mamaaleek ,Ass'er Almamaleek (Slaves' age).I actually studied everything about them at school,including their lifestyle, independence, how they settled,how they were being forced and everything .besides the Ottomans,Mongols (Genghis Khan -jankees khan) and all those fellow ages .
It might be a similar story.but i'm not taking "knight" as a rank, nor as a social level. it's just like (the Desert's knight - faris As'sahraa' )

and about the goblin, i'm not sure about having it into the whole project; i actually drew it (like randomly) in order to get some ideas out of it.

Nice to see people with that wide knowledge ,it really is a rare treasure,
thanks man. ^^
Be Like no other

Offline hsn2555

• Hakuna Matata
    • View Profile
    • HsnGoneWild Gallery

Reply #26 on: June 10, 2009, 07:38:20 pm
here's an edit on the attack
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 07:44:49 pm by hsn2555 »
Be Like no other

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: June 10, 2009, 08:08:09 pm
If you plan to use the phrase, ask a native speaker the best way to translate The Desert's Knight.  I stick by the idea that Faris has always meant cavalryman where I've read it.  I think Faris would also need an Al- because it is the true subject.  I suggest something simpler like the desert rider (al faris sahra'i), the rider in the desert (al faris fissahra') or the rider from the desert (al faris manissahra').  Pronunciation note : As'sahraa' is misleading, i suggest Assahra', because saad is smooth and the hamza makes the aleph short.  Perhaps even Assohra', because saad is deep, although that might confuse the fatha with a damma or even a waw.

Right now he looks like hes wearing some sort of nondescript headscarf similar to traditional berber wraps.  the closest thing I suggest is looking at modern Tuareg headscarves.  The arab/muslim equivalent, the keffiyeh, is much looser, and much more hat than mask.  In fact, with the holy Qur'an forbidding you to hide you identity, most men muslim would not have been covering their face.  Women are different with the concept of modesty sometimes overruling certain ideas of rights and identity...the fact of course being that at the time, women were expected to be covered in a similar fashion in many non-muslim areas including greece, byzantium, and the pre-islamic east and africa.  Luckily, you have no women yet.  

Anyway, I suggest making him a Berber and keeping the veiled pseudo-turban because it excuses him living in isolation when of the population was urbanizing and a medieval Muslim headscarf looks nothing like what your sprite already has on (your other 3 options include a turban which on no occasion would have had a veil (unless a separate veil was worn under it), a cloth wound up not unlike a sail and wrapped around a scarf that resembled a wimple, or the keffiyeh, a much shorter wrap/scarf.)  Try making the structure more hatlike rather than return of the mummy and do look up berber and tuareg scarves as I think that's close to what you are looking for.
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: June 10, 2009, 09:08:19 pm
I'd just like to say that this whole thread just got a whole lot more interesting after that history lesson, guys. By that I mean this game concept seems enriched and more interesting now. I think it's the immersion factor in play. I feel more informed, better connected to the world this game portrays. I feel like exploring it further.

Something on the current attack anim - if it's meant as a two stroke combo, move it could flow better. Not sure about that little two-step he does/foot movement altogether, it's not very enthusiastic. Cape is cool. How about some head movement? -  just something to reduce the staticness.

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: June 11, 2009, 04:02:24 am
I suggest something simpler like the desert rider (al faris sahra'i), the rider in the desert (al faris fissahra') or the rider from the desert (al faris manissahra').
But then you'd lose the Arabian Nights pun.
thanks Dogmeat!