AuthorTopic: GR#003 - Spritework (Nudity) - Sprite Process Critique  (Read 26992 times)

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Re: [WIP] More Characters

Reply #30 on: April 12, 2009, 03:21:32 am

<- Mine | Yours ->
You have quit a few extra colors you could easily clean up. AA'd parts and might have found a solution to that fingers problem. Tried showing some indications of a face. I think it just blends in with the beard.
Clean up your color count and try AAing a few parts and I think you'll fix a few problems. I did a few small things that I can hardly notice. Zoom in and find anything you like. I think you can make a more attractive looking hand than I did.

Good luck and great work so far.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: April 12, 2009, 06:17:47 am

Tried to fix some issues mentioned above.

Played around with his hands a bit. Should look more natural.

How do the folds look now Atnas?

Not sure about switching the hat and cape color Shrike, looks decent to me the way it is. Of course, if you want to do the work for me :P

Since I am not working in a paletted mode sometimes the colors get screwed up a bit. Tried to clean it up so I didn't have unneeded colors floating around.

Added a game screenshot.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 06:47:15 am by EvilEye »

Offline kaio

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: April 12, 2009, 08:07:09 am
Maybe it's just me, but somehow the black outline is bugging me. It just doesn't fit the style  :crazy:

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #33 on: April 13, 2009, 12:53:26 am
I just don't feel the mixed rendering styles, you have some sprites and/or portraits painted, and some pixelled. Unless I'm wrong and you're going to pixel them all, why did you choose to make it that way? It makes it seem as if you are unsure of what you want to do, or don't care for consistency.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: April 13, 2009, 03:59:57 am
I just don't feel the mixed rendering styles, you have some sprites and/or portraits painted, and some pixelled. Unless I'm wrong and you're going to pixel them all, why did you choose to make it that way? It makes it seem as if you are unsure of what you want to do, or don't care for consistency.

When you have a ton of art to do, consistency is not a huge issue. Hell, I threw in some art I did years ago that had nothing to do with the game at all.

The pixeling is mostly just for fun and to see if I could do it fast enough to make it viable. After around 5 or so sprites I can say its definitely NOT viable within my time limit. But its mildly entertaining. That said, I probably won't be pixeling any more for a while since I am in crunch time for the next release of my game.

Offline Voodoofusion

• View Profile
    • Voodoofusion.com

Reply #35 on: April 14, 2009, 02:38:50 pm
I also think the book open is fine. And he doesn't need to be looking at the book just because it's open, because perhaps he just read a line out of the book for memorization and is now focusing on the enemy. One thing to consider is maybe having him hold the staff out a bit further for a more epic, striking pose.

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #36 on: April 16, 2009, 09:58:38 am
I also think the book open is fine. And he doesn't need to be looking at the book just because it's open, because perhaps he just read a line out of the book for memorization and is now focusing on the enemy. One thing to consider is maybe having him hold the staff out a bit further for a more epic, striking pose.

I agree. If we judge it that he just memorized an spell he's about to cast, then a more threatening pose towards the enemy will look much better. Really, I understand some of the points that people mentioned that could be improved, but I totally disagree with many of the things that people didn't like... I don't consider them critical at all. This a nice piece, very well done character in my opinion, this character reminds me of this style someone made:

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Milano-Cat/3319/muz/002.html

About the consistence part, I don't think it matters at all... you can use both Artwork and Sprites, there is no rule anywhere that says you have to make your own game X or Y way... what matters most is how it is executed, let's say do the sprites match well with the scenery and the art portraits? etc... you get my drift.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #37 on: April 16, 2009, 05:41:57 pm
About the consistence part, I don't think it matters at all... you can use both Artwork and Sprites, there is no rule anywhere that says you have to make your own game X or Y way... what matters most is how it is executed, let's say do the sprites match well with the scenery and the art portraits? etc... you get my drift.

Of course there isn't, and I wasn't trying to imply there was. But there are always ways to improve, and that's what you probably want to do if you want your products to be more successful and popular. In my opinion, consistency is better than inconsistency. Both EvilEye's paintings and pixels are well-done, but it would likely be even better if he stuck to one style at least for characters and portraits in their own group. For example, a pixelled sprite fighting a painted sprite is NOT consistent, in my opinion, and rather redundant.