AuthorTopic: WayForward Contest #2: Sprite modelling (updated rules)  (Read 115276 times)

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

WayForward Contest #2: Sprite modelling (updated rules)

on: February 02, 2006, 09:29:43 am
Hey guys,

The developer I work for (WayForward Technologies, creators of Shantae & Sigma Star Saga) is always on the lookout for new animation talent. Our last contest (animation) went over incredibly well (we picked up around 3 freelance animators). So we're going to do a few more contests if the mods here don't mind. I discussed it with Alex a bit so if everything looks fine, maybe one of the mods can move this topic to the challenges section. Each contest carries a $250 prize (judged by the WF staff). The first of the two contests is something everyone here should love - sprite modelling.

Below is Popeye. We're not doing a Popeye game, but he's a very recognizable and well-defined character.

To enter this contest, the artist has to complete two tasks:

1. Make a usable sprite of Popeye, with 15 colors (or less) 48x48 pixels in size (or less). Character should be in an idle pose, any style and perspective. Sprite will be judged on pixelling ability, color choice, detail, pose (hint: Don't copy the one above) and generally how well the Popeye character is transformed into pixel art.

2. Make a usable sprite of Popeye (again, 15 colors and 48x48 or less), this time in the same style, size and perspective as the sprites in the game Boktai (see example below). This sprite will be judged on essentially the same criteria, but with more of an emphasis on matching the style of that game.

Boktai reference:

Rules:

1) Each entrant must pixel both a free-style Popeye sprite and a Popeye sprite in the Boktai style/size/perspective.
The idea behind requiring both is to test the artist's raw creativity and also their ability to work to a specific, pre-defined style.
2) Each sprite must not exceed a 48x48 size.
3) Each sprite can have a maximum of 15 colors (15 colors + 1 color BG or transparency).
4) If rules 2 or 3 are violated, and if there's time, the entrant has the option to correct either error and resubmit.
5) No animation whatsoever is alllowed (single-frame only).
6) All pieces of art must be posted in this thread and be accessible (no dead links) for consideration. You can post the file in any web-displayable image (gif preferred). If it doesn't show up for the judges, the art won't be considered.
7) No previously-created art may be used in this contest.
8 ) Multiple entries are allowed. If you end up pixelling multiple sprites, we'll consider all of them.

So that's it in a nutshell. Create two sprites, post em below, best combination according to WF's directors wins the cash. Post below and feel free to comment on everyone else's posts.

Deadline:

The initial deadline will be in a little over 2 weeks (February 17th). If popularity is big, we might extend it a week or so.

Prize:

The winner will receive $250 and a copy of Pro Motion Lite (the best pixel animation program available, in my opinion).

FAQ:
(I'll add to this as people post below)

1) Can we enter if we're under age? Of course. Again, just a contest. Unless you know of a specific reason why you might not be allowed to enter, the contest is open to everyone.
2) Can I post my sprite entries on my website? Of course. Post away.
3) Can mods submit? Of course. The contest is open to everyone except WayForward employees.
4) Can we submit collabs? Nope, sorry. One artist per entry.
5) Is it 16 colors per sprite or for both? 16 colors each (15 + transparency. Transparency color isn't allowed to be used as a color, too, so 15 in your sorite).
6) What do you mean by Boktai size & perspective? There are a lot of different sprites in Boktai. Intepret that as you want. You are only limited to the rules and words I've posted in this contest, however I chose the Boktai pic above based on how it typifies that style and size, so your chances will be better if the sprite is similar to that specific sprite in style, size and perspective.

- Adam
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 06:04:36 am by AdamTierney »

Offline istvan

• View Profile
    • Pixel Joint Gallery

Re: WayForward Contest #2: Sprite modelling

Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 10:00:32 am
Just one queston about the first Popeye sprite; you say it's meant to be an idle pose, and that we're getting judged on the creativity of the pose. My problem is that there really ain't that much room for creativity as far as an idle pose goes for such a tight character. Excuse my 'aint,' I was feeling Popeye-ish

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 10:10:15 am
That's a good point, and something I was thinking as I typed it. Because yeah a totally 'creative' and weird sprite might be an awful idle pose. So let's change it to the word 'personality'. It doesn't have to be a bizarre or unique pose, but it should have enough life in it that it's charming and engaging. And of course, if he's giving off a Popeye sorta vibe, that's perfect.

Here's a good example:

Fully usable idle, but oozing personality. And remember, for the free-style sprite it doesn't have to be a side-pose, perspective can be anything.

- Adam
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 10:14:56 am by AdamTierney »

Lady Medusa

Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 10:25:40 am
Should we post bouth sprites in the same post or can we post one and edit the post where he's in?
(hope the question makes sense, my English isn't that good)

Offline istvan

• View Profile
    • Pixel Joint Gallery

Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 12:46:05 pm
Heres my effort. I figured there was not much point spending ages on it because we simply wouldnt be given that option were this a real game.

Part 1 (Took me longest to decide on the simplicity of the shading):

Part 2 (Never played or heard of Boktai so it was a bit harder):

I like Popeye and this was a nice challenge, even if I dont come anywhere close to winning.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 08:18:44 pm
ha. IDK if there is much point to me doing it, but I think I'm going to enter.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 08:29:34 pm

popeye flexing his muscle..

will do a boktai one soon..

edit:

might do some more.. dunno..

edit2:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 09:51:13 pm by Alex Hanson-White »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 09:53:31 pm
oh, by the way Itsvan, you better look up some more boktai screenshots, you didnt get the style, and the perspective is supposed to be a 45º Isometric, so check that out

oops. re-read the rules. I guess I wont do it after all.I wish Matt would consider me as a Model artist.c.c

I wish you all luck..and have fun with this one :p

hey Kon, is that second one your Boktai guy? I really like it
« Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 03:06:26 am by Camus »

Offline istvan

• View Profile
    • Pixel Joint Gallery

Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 12:11:17 am
Thanks Camus. I had a lot of trouble finding any Boktai reference pics in google...

I'll make an edit when I find some more time.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006, 12:46:13 am
why search for screens? search for sprites, that IS what you are doing after all

I got this in a "I'm feelin lucky" http://www.retrogamezone.co.uk/boktai.html